No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lycurgus cup article in Smithsonian magazine  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Lycurgus cup article in Smithsonian magazine
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
There's an interesting article in the Sept 2013 issue of the Smithsonian magazine, about the colour change in the Lycurgus cup:

This 1,600-Year-Old Goblet Shows that the Romans Were Nanotechnology Pioneers
Researchers have finally found out why the jade-green cup appears red when lit from behind
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/This-1600-Year-Old-Goblet-Shows-that-the-Romans-Were-Nanotechnology-Pioneers-220563661.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Lycurgus cup article in Smithsonian magazine
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
Weird. I knew before 1990 that this piece was dichroic glass and with the effect achieved by gold in the metal. The use of the nano term is perhaps the 'new'. But that gives me a headache as the development of nanotechnology cannot really be applied to 'normal' molecular chemistry, where of course any particles of a particular material in glass are likely to be nano sized. In that sense articles like this are misleading.

I am certain of the date of my knowledge as I was led to that Roman piece when researching a dichroic Monart miniature I had found in Scotland in the 1980s.

n.b. Today dichroic glass is often applied to the trade name of a commercial product used by lampworkers that is dichroic from a surface treatment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »
Just adding for historical reference really as it doesn't tell us anything -
I don't know the history of this piece, but this article in the Illustrated London News dated 13 April 1850, discusses the Lycurgus cup and says it is green but looks red or amethyst when held up to the light.  It doesn't discuss or even question  how that effect was achieved. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Print-of-1850-Roman-Venetian-Glass-Steel-Casket-Ancient-Art-/350896441789?pt=UK_art_prints_GL&hash=item51b30ec9bd
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:04 PM »
An interesting point about the image in the Illustrated London News article is that it showed the Lycurgus Cup with a foot which, as stated in Harold Newman's An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass, 1977 was "an attached modern metal base" and was removed after purchase by the The British Museum in 1958.

Newman also made reference to: "Recent analysis of the glass shows traces of silver and other metals, which may contribute to the dichroic effect." He also included an information source reference to Journal  of Glass Studies (Corning) V (1963).
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
Kev, this picture from the British Museum look as though both silver rim and foot are attached though? and it looks the same as the one in the illustration doesn't it?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_image.aspx?image=k737.jpg&retpage=20945

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »
ok here's a pic of it with removed foot

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?partid=1&assetid=755705&objectid=61219

And I never realised it has a crack in it (for all those worried about buying damaged glass  ;D )

I love the figuring on the metal foot and rim - reminds me of Art Nouveau French silver work - perhaps it was the inspiration for some of it before it really went all Art Nouveau full swing.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Currently looking at research into dichroic glass for my jug and came across this more complete article on the Lycurgus cup:
http://master-mcn.u-strasbg.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/lycurgus.pdf

It's an amazing piece of glass.

m

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
It's long been rumoured that the Greeks had a much more advanced civilisation than previously thought. Just google Antikythera mechanism. Ancient Egypt too, with it's advanced machining.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
It's amazing.  ;D

Skills known and lost for whatever reason.  I'm sure it's the same for many things.
I see glass made hundreds of years ago and just think wow, the maker's thoughts and desire to push the boundaries to create something new was no different then to now.  They'd have fitted right in perfectly if they were living now.  Perhaps then, where there are differences between past societies and ours, it is just a numbers game (i.e. there are more now than then as a proportion of the population) caused by lack of educational opportunity?  Rather than society being any less developed in thinking.

I probably haven't expressed myself very well  :-[

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand