No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Caithness?
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:14:09 AM »
Okay, this is a piece that I pulled out of a box of Caithness weights. IT's the only one not labeled. and I have no idea why I put it into that box originally. Does it feel like Caithness? it has the classic cutoff window, but there are a few things, that make me think NOT Caithness.

1) It has a lightly iridized surface, except the view window of course. I don't think of Caithness, and iridizing weights together.

2) the inner glass is more of a thick mound, swirled yes, but not translucent like I think of with Caithness.

3) It uses some dichroic glass on the inner swirled mound, and again, I don't think of Caithness, and dichroic glass generally.

It could have been a one off, a sample of something they chose not to make perhaps.
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Caithness?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:28:54 AM »
Hi Bob,

Did you mean to put a series of different photos in your post? It;s just that they are all the same image!

Also, can you make the images larger (i.e. width or height at least 400 pixels) as the 80 pixels version is a bit small to see details.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:27 AM »
These pics. should be better, the first batch were all actually different, just too small to be able to tell.

Ooops
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
Hi Bob,
I on seeing the photos would have said it was a Glass Eye Studio piece, but all the ones I have seen have been etched to the base.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand