No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian Epergne  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Re: Georgian Epergne
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
Ok - so let's put a date on it!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
It accords with illusrations in Silber & Fleming catalogues where other very similar single trumpet centre-pieces are shown, and are described Crystal glass flower stands.            These catalogues were printed originally some time in the 1880's, and my opinion is that your piece dates somewhere from 1860 - 1880 (or a tad later). 

quote ................."For floating flower heads or fruit or sweetmeats".................I'm fairly certain not for anything other than flowers.         In a similar way to C20 float bowls, these bowls would have been for smaller flower arrangements.

This looks very dissimilar to Georgian/Regency glass (particularly a Georgian sweetmeat epergne), and bearing in mind the similarity to much of the Silber & Fleming material (much of which was imported from Europe), your piece may well not be of U.K. origin - thus accounting for features giving rise to problems with dating.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
IMHO this epergne is British (it might even be Scottish, as this sort of engraving is often found up there) and c1850 onwards but probably not as "new" as Paul suggests

"For floating flower heads or fruit or sweetmeats".................I'm fairly certain not for anything other than flowers.

The lady of the house probably put whatever she fancied in it

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
Many thanks for your wisdom, knowledge and thoughts. I've not run out of questions though!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
I never consider Christine's opinions to be humble - she's too knowledgable. :)                 You may be correct, but equally we will almost certainly never know. :)

Wot - more questions!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand