No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ernest Gordon  (Read 3094 times)

Offline adnerb

• Members
    • Glass
    • United Kingdom
Ernest Gordon
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »
Hi - my first post!
I have a purple vase signed on the bottom Afors GH211 Lila E Gordon.  It is 10.75 inches - 27cm tall and weighs 1.87kg.  Could you tell me what year this would have been made and its approximate value as I would be interested in selling.  Many thanks.  adnerb.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Ernest Gordon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
Welcome to the board adnerb
Ernest Gordon was at Åfors from 1953 to 63 - can't be more specific than that, this model was also produced in a blue colourway.

As for value that is not something that we discuss on the board.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »
Gareth might be interested, you could reply to his thread in the marketplace to get his attention: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53820.0.html

John

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
I've seen three sizes, GH 209, 210, 211 / 214 (not convinced that this isn't meant to be 211, signatures are often a bit rough and I've never seen a 212 or 213), yours is the largest.
As kisslikeether says, they come in two colour variations; often signed lila (purple) and smaragd (emerald), although I reckon it's much more blue that green.

Re date, I think these were pretty early; mid 1950s ?

Value depends on condition - Afors glass fogs really easy with water - can be professionally cleaned but will knock a lot off if bad. With no damage I'd suggest £80 - £120 ish.
Are you in Australia ? shipping will be a killer to Europe/USA, but you do see quite a bit of his stuff in Australia, so you might be lucky with a local buyer.

(and I've got 2 already)

Cheers

Gareth

Offline adnerb

• Members
    • Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:20:59 AM »
Hi - many thanks for your replies.  And thanks Gareth for the additional info that Lila is purple. 

The vase is in excellent condition, with no 'sickness'.  By the way does anyone know how to clean the fog out of glass?  I never buy items that are 'sick' as I have had no success with cleaning.

Yes, I am in New South Wales, Australia and there seems to be heaps of glass here.  Thanks for the approx valuation, and apologies ksslikeether for asking about valuation.  Many thanks guys.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
A paste made with Cerium Oxide is what I use with a felt polishing pad on my Dremel. For lower in a vase a more liquid solution with small fishing weights works but does take time. Hope that helps!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand