No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams alabaster,for show...  (Read 777 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Stevens & Williams alabaster,for show...
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
Only 2 inches high,dinky,polished pontil marks,alabaster I presume,please don't tell me otherwise, :o ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stevens & Williams alabaster,for show...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »
looks o.k. to me Keith, pontil depression look about right - and I'm assuming it's Jade, although the book picture of Jade seems a little darker.         Alabaster seem to have had more than its fair share of dinky examples - perhaps they thought small was beautiful.            The book says that this colour ceased in 1938, and from memory believe it also says there are lots of examples still around.............       wsell, if they are they're not round my way.
Not an easy material to photograph  - hope you don't mind me attaching pic of small Jade coloured bowl I found this morning  -  only the second piece I've seen (bowl is 5" (130mm) in diameter  -  I may well be missing a lid, as with my blue Alabaster bowl.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Stevens & Williams alabaster,for show...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
Thanks Paul,I presume you have the same book I have, only seen two pieces,both in my local shop and snapped up both,this one he had just unwrapped, ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand