No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drip cup claret jug - Pargeter & Jones, RD 282496, 20 May 1874 – Parcel 10?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I should take several m  -  and then some. ;D             Obviously I was maligning the museum's info. a bit too quick. :-[

I'm a little confused though  -  Fred has commented about engraving, although there seem to be other comments about etching?

Barbara Morris - sadly no longer with us  -  was a very big cheese at the V. & A. post 1945, and it seems from the blurb in the link that the lady bequeathed these pieces to the museum, and very choice pieces they are.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The comments at the B M say the patent was for the drip ring - at least as I understand it.  Therefore might there  have been design variations i.e. the handle for example?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Paul, are you referring to the comment 'acid etched' next to 'Inscription'?  I think that means the mark is acid etched.  If you are not, I apologise.
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
I would imagine that embellishments to a customer’s requirements were easily accommodated for such prestigious pieces (for an appropriately increased price, of course), and I think the ribbed shell handle sits well with the beautiful body decoration. (which looks like fine, and expensive, copper wheel engraving to me).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
nope  -  I think you're right m  .....      the pix aren't too clear at that magnification, but looking again it does appear that the decoaration is engraved, so it must refer to the mark.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand