No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance ashtray,nice colour!  (Read 922 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Chance ashtray,nice colour!
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Not mine though,might offer him(brother) a fiver for it, ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Chance ashtray,nice colour!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
What a coincidence Keith.                     Don't remember seeing another, but probably more common than we think.

Presumably it's the coloured examples that David is referring to when he says made in clear and 'opaline'.             You've probably seen the blue example in Charles Hajdamach's book which carry Churchill's epitaph to the 'few'  -  are they very rare do you know?

Mine doesn't have any of the othere marks that David speaks of   i.e.      'Parker' or 'Fibreglass'  -  they apparently also did one (presumably pre-war) containing uranium.

You can have this one for nothing if you want a blue one. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
Thanks Paul but already got a blue one,marked fibreglass,one marked parker and a uranium green one,again thanks for the offer, ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
sure...........they must be common ..........   unless it's just that you were all very heavy smokers in the B'ham area ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
Smoking still seems popular round here ::),gave it up 25 years ago,don't see too many of these ashtrays,would love to get my hands on a yellow one, ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
Not that common, but they did come in a variety of colours and finishes - see my earlier comment on another thread. I can now add to that list one with green Matthey Crinkles

But the style is to be admired - it was popular enough to be in production for about 20 years!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
thanks for the information  -  bit remiss of me for not using the search facility.            I daren't start collecting them.......I've enough glass already, but would probably keep one of the Churchill worded examples should it turn up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand