No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb 'Envoy Suite'  (Read 905 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Thomas Webb 'Envoy Suite'
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »
Out of interest, I have just discovered that the designer of the Webb's Envoy suite was Robert Yorke Goodden, whose name has appeared in connection with Chance's Spiderweb, Lotus and the heavily Art Deco inspired ashtrays.

Source: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/name/goodden-robert-york/829/

Not sure if it had been recorded before.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thomas Webb 'Envoy Suite'
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »
unfortunate that the V. & A. don't currently have any on-line images of this design for viewing - I don't recall seeing this pattern before, although may have clocked it and forgotten.
Shame - I was in said gallery at the beginning of the week, and could have sneaked a look.

Is it possible someone can post a pic. or is Envoy in a book somewhere? :)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
'Tis annoying, but there's also a link here:
http://vads.ac.uk/diad/article.php?title=215&article=d.215.28

Takes some searching, so here's a cutting:

Design 1966 Journal
Modern cut full lead crystal wine suites are gracing the tables of modern British embassies in Belgrade, Lagos, Accra and Warsaw. Thomas Webb's Envoy suite, commissioned by the Ministry of Public Building and Works from a design by Professor Robert Goodden of the Royal College of Art, illustrates how full lead crystal can take its place in the modern way of life.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
the answer to the original question is yes, it had been recorded previously as being from this designer  -  and the answer to my query as to whether it had appeared in a book, pictorially, is also yes.
See Charles Hajdamach's 'C20 British Glass' - page 305 top right.

The cutting is rather simplistic, and appears to be a form of slanting blazes that were a common type of decoration on Georgian/Regency decanters - obviously no intention to rival the progressive designs of Hammond or Luxton.
I'm not aware of having seen the pattern on my travels - but no doubt British embassies are awash with them - so if you go on holiday to Belgrade............. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand