No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vizner lamp-base.  (Read 4728 times)

Sklounion

Vizner lamp-base.
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »
I have been some-what fortunate, and have managed to obtain a lamp-base, designed by Frantisek Vizner.

Vizner designed this item for Skrdlovice glassworks, early in 1968. It was made by glass-master Frantisek Spinar, and is a scarce/uncommon lamp-base variant of pattern number 6860/25.

The colour means this is contemporary, not recent production. This is a pink over very pale blue sommerso, which appears a very faint green where it contacts the pink. I have been absolutely stunned by the virtuosity of the glass-maker.

This item initially caused some concern, as there is no documentary evidence, easily available, to show that Skrdlovice/Beranek have made lamp-bases. Certainly, I worried, and was concerned that some-one had done an amateur conversion of a vase. In the end, I spoke to Vlastimil Beranek, of Beranek Glassworks, Skrdlovice, who very kindly confirmed that the lamp-base was a genuine item, though the company had not made many, and also had not been in production for many years.

The height is 26cms (@10") and is 9cms square  (just under 4" square)
Wieghs in at over 3kg (6.5lbs)

The lamp-base is unsigned.

This has been very difficult to photograph and do justice to.

Images of this can be found here:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=59

(Thanks again, Anne, for the facility)

I hope you enjoy the images.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Vizner lamp-base.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »
:D :D :D
Yes!  Thank-you!
 :D :D :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Vizner lamp-base.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:24:47 PM »
Wow! Marcus that is fabulous. I can quite see why you're excited about this. Thanks for sharing the images with us.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

Vizner lamp-base.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:47:42 PM »
A couple of further comments.
When no-one bids against you, do not panick, you may well be right. (Yes, I know there are also times when you will be wrong.) :lol:  :lol:
The second.... any ideas on suitable light-shades, absolutely plain, or a exuberant 60's oiled silk...??? Having now moved this topic toward cafe forum obscurity... :oops:  :oops:

regards,

Marcus

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Vizner lamp-base.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
Interesting and lucky topic for me, I found this one via the Czech Candelholder topic about
the candlesticks from Vizner.

I was lucky enough in january to find one of these lampbases for myself, it was in a lot of blue
artglass that I got on the cheap. I guess with christmas just over there weren't many buyers.

When I first got it home I didn't know who could have made it and wondered how I'd be able to id it.

Then I read the candleholder topic and found this topic and  bingo :)

My lampbase is identical in shape, size etc.

The core is colored in what appears to be a coca cola'ish brown with a nice blue around it.
Due to the color it's been very difficult to photograph but i gave it a shot, I will try to get better ones.

Vizner Lampbase

Vizner Closeup

Thanks for posting your base Marcus, it is a thing of beauty.

Do you have any idea of value? I'm beginning to build a little collection and at some point i
I guess I'll have to insure the keepers, and this is one of them :)

Btw - I settled for now on a small offwhite/eggshell white very plain lampshade,
will try to get some good photos of that also when i'm happy with the look.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »
WOW Marcus - I don't know how I managed to miss this thread but I'm glad to see it now.  Also Alexander - yours is fabulous too - I simply must have one of these lampbases ....

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:48:16 PM »
Hi Alexander,
Yes, yours is a fine example.
Please forgive me, I have a rule that I never comment on financial value, as the fiscal value of items, is of not much interest to me, personally. As a historian of glass design, the social conditions of creator, patron, user, the item's contribution to a record of our times, is of much greater significance.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand