No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royal Brierley  (Read 23999 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Royal Brierley
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 03:22:46 PM »
My vases were all bought in "posh" shops in Brighton. They all came "officially" boxed and with the Royal Brierley sticker on plus the Royal Brierley info-brochure.

IMHO none of them are factory seconds.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Pat

• Members
Royal Brierley
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »
Sorry Glen I wasn't intimating yours were but answering something Pip asked about signatures. I guess I'm wrong. I've had some of these unsigned that were perfect in every sense and also some unsigned ones with a few small 'lumps and bumps'. It wqs just something that someone once led me to believe. No offence meant.

Pat
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Royal Brierley
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »
Hi Pat - that's OK  :D I just wanted to note that I am sure my vases weren't seconds. (My dear daughter bought them for me over several years while she was at Sussex Uni. Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day - every chance she got, she would buy me a different iridised vase as she knew how much I loved them. I know they cost her a lot, and I know where she bought them from, which is why I am sure they were good quality retail goods).

Mine were bought in the 1990s. Possibly earlier versions were signed, and the later ones just had the sticker. Just a thought, could be wrong.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Pat

• Members
Royal Brierley
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 04:06:17 PM »
Actually Glen I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I saw some for sale in a 'posh' gift shop on hols in the late 90's and they all had labels but I did not check for signatures! That's a real possibility.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Royal Brierley Studio
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »
I am covered in confusion after trying to get to the bottom of the Royal Brierley Studio story, so I thought I'd post to this to bump it and see if anyone has anything new since July.

I bought this piece which started my research :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0531.jpg

marked on the bottom "Royal Brierley Studio".

After searching the GMB, I'd read David's comment about production between 1978 -1982, and Glen's note that his pieces were bought from shops in the 1990s, and I'd found Trudy's link to info about Royal Brierley, which showed a picture of a similar piece to mine and said it was made after 2000.

It's going to be staying in the collection for a while so it doesn't matter too much, but it would be good to know a bit more if anyone knows any more?

Thank you
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Royal Brierley
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 01:41:31 PM »
 ;D ??? ;D
You could try contacting Isle of Wight Studio Glass about this.
Something at the back of my brain, which is not working at it's best at the moment, tells me this one posted by catshome was one, or very, very like one, designed by Timothy Harris for RB.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:31 PM »
I love these royal Brierley items, as does almost everyone who sees them, i would think a good
investment for the future!
I do remember having one that had such a faint signature lost in the pattern, you really had to look
hard to see it, fidling with the light etc.so maybe the ones without signatures mentioned earlier,
were just faint and hard to see?
 Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »
Good point Andy - certainly the signature on mine was very indistinct and, as you said, almost lost in the pattern. I had to look very hard to find it.

Offline Glassic

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 10:37:54 PM »
I will try and find out if David or Simon have any plans for a follow up to The Crystal Years.
Or, if any information has been lodged anywhere. Might take a while.   ::)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 01:26:12 PM »
Hello,

I am loathe to quote Andy McConnell's "Miller's 20th Century Glass" as I have found so many incorrect dates referenced over a number of areas of glass, but he says, on page 48, where there is an illustration, that these "Studio" pieces were originally produced by Royal Brierley C1978.

At least this is consistant with what Vidfletch found.

On a quick skip through books and the net this is all I could find currently.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand