No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Exbor anxiety  (Read 7729 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Exbor anxiety
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
I've been pondering some interesting Exbor vases currently on Ebay. What exactly is the known status of Exbor vases? I've noticed one or two threads suggesting that copies (or possibly fakes) do exist of some Exbor vases, although the available information is patchy at best. I've seen the links to Jindrich's information but as it's not in English I'm not sure what any of it says.

Are there any reference books regarding Exbor - I've not been able to find any listed anywhere (I have most of the well known general glass reference books). Could this be why the Exbor etched logo is so highly prized in World of Exbor? I hope that's not faked as well. I currently posses these two - the amber/pink one has a logo, but the red and green one doesn't. Exbor I feel is the most prized of my collection and I'd like some more, but I don't want to find myself bidding on copies or fakes, especially as they're unlikely to be cheap.

Any clarification welcomed!

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Exbor anxiety
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
Hi, I would not worry too much. There is a thread on GMB discussing Egermann Exbor taking over Exbor after 1993 or 1994. the quality is not hugely different but worth noting at auction, the new acid stamp is different anyway but I think both eras produced some unstamped pieces. The old Exbor pieces with czechoslovakia are slightly more beautifully made in general. The Lipsky vases may have had other factories copying them, especially in single colours historically, but I have not seen any companies today copying them, other than the Egermann-Exbor productions. Jindrich had an issue with an auction house selling new Egermann as old Exbor. Which was obviously not accurate but the vases I have seen made there recently are OK quality and they use some old Hlava and Lipsky designs and own the name Exbor today, so they have a kind of right to prouce these things if they want to, as I understand it. There is an Egermann catalogue on Jindra's site showing some of their remakes. A purist would prefer the old, every time but in my opinion it is not literally a disaster to own an Egemann-Exbor piece. I doubt either of yours are modern pieces, certainly not the stamped one saying Czechoslovakia. This is my understanding of the state of play re. this subject and is just an opinion,

Robert

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »
Well thanks for your comprehensive opinion bOBA, I will have to thoroughly investigate the Exbor Egermann connection and come up with a timeline, so I know where I am. I'd have thought with Exbor vases being so visually stunning and such high quality that somebody would have put a book together by now. Perhaps I'll have to do it - when I've got a moment.

I have now carefully absorbed Jindra's comments on the actual age of some Exbor/Egermann products. Perhaps he could write a book - when he's got a moment. I'll have the first copy. I suppose if it was all accurately documented in a book (ultimately I still seem to prefer books to websites!) then everyone would know, and Exbor prices would become currency-like, as seems to have happened with Whitefriars. Maybe then quickly go out of print and don't do an updated version just to annoy everybody, like Mark Hill's Michael Harris book.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
Exbor is a very interesting factory and the range of glass is much more diverse than initially meets the eye. The history of it is briefly told quite well in Ricke, Czech Glass. The earlier pieces can be engraved and signed. Some of the top makers-engravers appear to have come from Lobmeyr, some of whom returned to working for Lobmeyr after 1990. Many big design names made a mark at Exbor including Wunsch and Oliva.

great glass!

Robert

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »
Hi Mr Turnip,

Could you please confirm whether the two images you show are your own photos, or are used with permission. It is just that somebody has queried this in connection with the Board policy on use of copyright images.
KevinH

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Hello Mr moderator, yes I can confirm I took these photos of my own Exbor vases in my own bathroom (the light is rather well diffused by the frosted glass I find - I was fully clothed at the time though) with my own Panasonic digital camera. For many years I worked in publishing so I'm aware of the consequences of messing with copyright.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
Thanks.
KevinH

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
I'd have thought with Exbor vases being so visually stunning and such high quality that somebody would have put a book together by now.

Mark Hill's book Hi Sklo Lo Sklo is well worth purchasing, although I now see it is out of stock!

http://www.markhillpublishing.com/books/

Might be worth picking up a copy second-hand when one is offered. I actually saw some for sale in Utrecht the other week, so other independent book sellers might still have copies.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
I already have a copy of Hi Sklo Lo Sklo - you're right, it is a good book, I'd recommend it too. I reckon Mr Hill knows how to write an entertaining and informative book. I often wonder why books become 'out of stock' when people want to buy them. You'd have thought the publishers would notice the inevitable onset of non-availability and print some more. 

I'd like a copy of Mark Hill's Michael Harris book but as has recently been mentioned elsewhere on this site, it seems to demand an unreasonably high price secondhand. I don't know why he hasn't done an updated version, maybe I'll find one in a car boot sale one day for 50p. I wish I was so successful that I could afford to not do things that there was clearly a demand for me to do.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
It's because publishers are normally committed to printing high volumes. Once these have sold a further batch can prove to be a very risky strategy.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand