No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Pair of Crystal Stirrup Cups, Trinquettes or Pon ponnes or Footless Wines !!  (Read 2118 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Cannot figure these two out. I thought they were maybe Stirrup Cups, I have seen Stirrup Cups in Crystal but not quite this shape. The two French Terms were only used in relation to 'Footless' Wine Glasses. They are a heavy pair and with feet would be a great pair of wines. They are 20cm in Height and 8cm diameter at the lip. I have seen a similar Pattern in Crystal somewhere (Tudor I think) but have always had feet. I have searched as much as I can with no real steps forward. Any ideas at all ??
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
Hi,

They do look like Regency/George IV stirrup cups although the cup shaped bowls are unusual.  Are they hand cut or moulded?  Is the metal somewhat greyish in colour?  I attach a picture of a funnel shaped example which passed through my hands recently.  Perhaps Peter (oldglassman) or Paul S, will assist.

Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
 some one called  ;D

I would be getting out my loup and looking very carefully at the handle ?? end for any signs of grinding or polishing ,my first impression is that they could be wine glasses that have suffered an amputation, and they do look a little out of proportion for stirrup cups to my eye, I would also expect the handle end to be finished in the same way as the round diamond knop above.

cheers ,
                Peter.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
I have checked and they haven't been cut down.  See pic. I don't think they are hand cut, I tried to take pic of what looks like it could be a mould mark (to me) Not old either. Really good ring to them though. Could be bells but seem to me to be the wrong shape as well. Rim is 3mm thick. Anyone else heard of trinquettes or pon ponnes ? Footless wines seems a bit risky. I have seen the modern Footless champagne glasses that were popular recently, (not with me  :))

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
so what about table bells without clappers?

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
That was my first thought but no sign of a clapper being attached but I am thinking there is the sound of a bell in the background  :D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Clappers on a chain are fixed in putty so you would not see any trace when it's gone...

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Solved ...table bell !  Saw one in a shop with the clapper attached, maybe I should try for a set of four, remove clappers and list as a set of footless wines. Now going  in my car boot pile. Thanks all. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand