No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz, Tiffany or ?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline BSevern

• Members
Loetz, Tiffany or ?
« on: May 07, 2006, 08:05:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I bought this interesting little vase from a fellow in Amsterdam (pictures below).

I'm not sure if it's a Loetz piece or not (that's what it was advertised as).

It is a nice quality little vase (it's all of 2.5" tall) - gold iridescence with green pulled tadpoles, and the midsection body of the vase is threaded with white glass.  The base has a nicely polished pontil, and has an engraved number (which may mean absolutely nothing) of "o4063".  The glass is nice and thin, not clunky and thick like the new knock-offs, so whatever it is, I do believe it to be an older piece.

Anyone have any ideas  :?:

Thanks,
Brian

Mod: Links removed as content changed to inappropriate site

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BSevern

• Members
Loetz, Tiffany or ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 08:23:31 PM »
Wow, that was fast!  I've been advised by a Tiffany dealer & collector that this is a Tiffany piece!  :D

I'd still love to hear what others thoughts are.  

The more I look at it, the more the Tiffany attribution seems correct, it just doesn't have that Loetz likeness to it IMO.

Brian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Loetz, Tiffany or ?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 10:21:29 PM »
Sorry doing this from memory

The preceding 'o' helps you date it - very roughly they got through 2 letters a year and I think A started in 1894 -so your vase is 7-8 years after that ie about 1906 and definitely LC Tiffany: a beaut!

:D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand