No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a bud vase? is it special?  (Read 592 times)

Offline thetruthrover

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • antique bottles
    • United States
is this a bud vase? is it special?
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:06:33 PM »
Hello from New Mexico, USA! Brand new member here. I have recently purchased what i assume is a bud vase. It is frosted clear glass, with a head, neck, and body. The head, which is spherical, has two round 'cuts' which resemble eyes and are clear. The body, which is cylindrical, has two vertical 'cuts', each about 1" wide, which are also clear and run the length of the body.

The measurements are about 10" tall and 3" wide. There are no marks or labels. I'm just curious if this is something rare, or if it is a mass produced item. Either way, i like it. Thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: is this a bud vase? is it special?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
Hello and welcome to the gmb! :)

I have not seen anything like this before, it does appear to be of reasonably good quality, from what I can tell from your pictures, I can see why you like it.  :)

Unfortunately, there is a lot a can't tell from your pictures. I cannot see if the clear panels are cut or if they have merely been protected from an acid treatment to frost/satinate the rest of the body.

We like looking at bottoms here  ;) - there is a lot we can tell from how the base of a piece is finished. We could do with a good clear image of the base. No markings doesn't matter, (although they do help a lot!).

How is the rim finished? Is it cut and polished,, or is it smooth and heat finished? Can we have a picture of that please?

Just one more little nag - we prefer images with plain backgrounds, please so that we can see just the glass!

Thank you for the trouble you have already taken to post the pictures directly to the board and for resizing them properly - that is much appreciated!

Looking forward to a few more images, so we can try to work this out for you. There are folk from all over the world here, I'm sure somebody will be able to help you. Sorry, I can't.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thetruthrover

• Members
    • antique bottles
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:34 AM »
the clear portions are indeed cut. im not sure how the rim is finished, but i hope the pictures will help. Thank you.

Duplicate image removed by a lovely moderator. ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
The rim has been polished flat, very nicely, then acid treated along with the rest of the body.

I'm still not convinced the clear surfaces have been cut, they look too round, and it would have been an easier thing to do, to simply to cover the portions which the maker did not want acid treated.
Unfortunately, you've uploaded 2 copies of the whole vase rather than an image of the base.
Don't fret about it, we can ask a lovely moderator to fix it . :)

I do hope somebody else will comment - I'm clueless about where your piece might have been made!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
If you look at the second photo Sue in the second group of photos, in that view from above you can see that that they are cut and polished panels.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
 :-[ Doh.
I was too busy looking at the rim. Yes, they're cut and polished. Thanks, John.  :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline thetruthrover

• Members
    • antique bottles
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »
Thank you Sue and John for your input. I realize i messed up on the pictures. So here is a picture of the base and one that shows the cuts a little better. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand