No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amberina?? oil lamp shade  (Read 1519 times)

Offline david31162

• Members
Amberina?? oil lamp shade
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
My guess was Amberina but I have never seen a piece so its a complete guess. Can anyone help?
I'd love to find a lamp to try it out.
Thank you ,
David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Amberina?? oil lamp shade
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
Amberina yes, but it doesn't look like an oil lamp shade to me

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »
when amberina is refired, can it shade with quite that precise clear cut break between the red and yellow?         Examples in the books are shown with a blurred transition.       Must admit I know nothing of the beast other than what I see in books. :)

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
Thank you Paul and Lustrousstone for your confirmation of amberina.(Good to know I'm getting to know a wider range of glass too).
What else do you think it could be Lustrousstone? I was fairly confident about its purpose.
David

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:13:38 PM »
David  -  just to clarify, I wasn't confirming this as amberina  -  although it may well be, and Lustrousstone knows 100% more on this subject than me  -  it's just that that very clear line of separation of the two colours had me a bit confused.            The books show pix of amberina as shading rather than having such a distinct break as this one.

Is it as clearly defined as I think, or am I in need of going to Specsavers, again, and the two colours do actually shade gradually. 

I would suggest a shade of some sort, but for what I've no idea.            Where did you source this one David?

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
Thanks Paul,
It is a defined but not a sharp line without any real gradation between colours. I really like it as it is a good strong red and an olive green. One of those keepers you want to find a prominent use for.
I bought it at a carboot sale in Suffolk, but it came with some other good glass. I'm certain these were the remnants from an auction of a glass collectors estate.
Done well at carboots recently.. several good pieces bought at one on the way to the Cambridge glass fair today.
Is amberina a general term for type of glass produced by several companies or did most of it originate from one company?
David

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »
Amberina has become a general term but I would expect the not-red bit to be yellow/amber rather than olive green and good amberina should shade. Shine a UV torch on it

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »
My own experience of finding amberina at boot fairs and even antiques markets is limited to a single piece in the shape of a goblet, which does show the shading we've been discussing.
As a type of art glass, it has it's origins in the States where it was patented. so the books say, sometime in the 1880's, and probably that's where almost all was made, and that's no doubt the reason we rarely see it in the U.K.           
According to Harold Newman's dictionary - he says that 1883 The New England Co licensed Sowerby to make 'Pressed Amberina'  -  whatever that may be.
Amberina has two general forms........the more usual is where the ruby occurs in the top half and then, apparently, there is 'Reverse Amberina' where the ruby colour forms the lower part of the object.          In it's most desirable form - when the re-striking is for longer than usual - the ruby turns to deep fuchsia, and there's an opaque form apparently, which is described as 'plated amberina'.

Normally, the non-ruby portion should apparently look more akin to light amber/straw.

Ray & Lee Grover's book 'Art Glass Nouveau' - shows some very attractive pieces  -  none of which helps us with this piece, unfortunately.

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
Thank you Lustrousstone and Paul,
I've looked at hundreds of pieces now on Google, there do seem to be a few clear variations.
 Mine is different to nearly all, other than this one which matches in colour combination and lack of shading.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-14-AMBERINA-GLASS-BULLSEYE-OIL-LIGHT-LAMP-SHADE-/181202918625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a30891ce1
David

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »
looking at the value of some of these pieces, you may have done very well. :)            Shame we don't get any States people coming in on this sort of item  -  would have thought their input very useful.
Have attached pic of my amberina goblet - at least I've always assumed that's what it is  -  I did show it on the Board some couple of years back, but don't recall anyone commenting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand