No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: my best piece of Vasart in my collection  (Read 1292 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
my best piece of Vasart in my collection
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
just thought id share this with you, been looking through my pictures and came across this one , its a large piece and the colourway and decoration and shape are out of this world and also very rare and unusal as im sure some of you would agree, signed to base, never seen another one yet but there may be others, this picture is also on Frank Andrews Ysart glass website, in my eyes one of the best and finest pieces of Vasart out there with exception to the Vincent Ysart vase,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: my best piece of Vasart in my collection
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
I have to admit, I prefer this to the Vincent, Gary. I want to put it on my head, I'm afraid, it would be a wonderful hat.
I suspect it might have something to do with the colours.
This fabby piece is using an unusual colourway for Vasart. (leftover Monart enamels?)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »
lol sue well I didn't like to say but I also prefer it to the Vincent vase but didn't like to say lol , not sure if you seen it but I had it with me at the conference in perth a good few years back, and yes it has a monart look to it, I think i bought it around 10/11 years back now and have not seen a better piece of Vasart since,  ;D

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
A superb and rare piece Gary. My I use your image for my on use, how tall is it ?.

Vasart Glass has been regarded ( by some collectors and auction houses) as inferior to Monart Glass. IMHO this does a disservice to the skills of Salvador, Vincent and Augustine. When the Ysart's left Moncrieff's to start their own glassworks in 1946 they were seasoned glass artisans in the art of designing and make art glass .
One of the main difference between Monart and Vasart, was the coloured enamels used, where as Monart used Kugler coloured enamels,l Vasart used among others, vitriol glass to obtain their colours.
Some of the early Vasart ( Gary's piece as an instances) compares equally with Monart.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »
That will be why it looks familiar, Gary!
I wouldn't have missed that - but if I didn't actually investigate or handle it, I would have assumed Monart.

I'm well aware of the troubles Vasart had with obtaining enamels - my problem is I have a strong aversion to most of the ones they did manage to get hold of.
That, and an aversion to "posy" vases and baskets.  :-[  ;)
I've had a couple of nice pieces - but I have given them to folk who appreciate them more than I do.

(And to prevent Michael from using them as target practice. But I don't think he'd throw things at your hat, Gary.  ;D )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
A superb and rare piece Gary. My I use your image for my on use, how tall is it ?.

Vasart Glass has been regarded ( by some collectors and auction houses) as inferior to Monart Glass. IMHO this does a disservice to the skills of Salvador, Vincent and Augustine. When the Ysart's left Moncrieff's to start their own glassworks in 1946 they were seasoned glass artisans in the art of designing and make art glass .
One of the main difference between Monart and Vasart, was the coloured enamels used, where as Monart used Kugler coloured enamels,l Vasart used among others, vitriol glass to obtain their colours.
Some of the early Vasart ( Gary's piece as an instances) compares equally with Monart.
Gary

sorry Gary just noticed your reply , weird I never seen it before nor did I get an email notification saying youd replied , mmm very strange, anyways yes you can use the image, once I get the piece dug out the many boxes I have stashed away I shall get some other pics of it taken, its 7inches tall and 9inches at its widest point

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand