No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival glass unknown + Curved Star  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Carnival glass unknown + Curved Star
« on: May 07, 2006, 10:15:31 PM »
Hello there.  8)

Do you know who made this? It has a diamond near the rim and a diamond near the foot too. It's 8cm high.

I think this is a "Curved Star" pattern by either Brockwitz, Eda or Karhula? Also, is it a suger or a compote? It's 12cm high.

Thanks for listening and any comments welcome.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:03:52 AM »
The first item is known as "Blocked Diamond" and is the bottom half of a mustard or honey/jam pot. The lid has a hole in for the spoon handle. The maker has not yet been confirmed, but is undoubtedly European.

The other item is a "Curved Star" open sugar bowl. It can also be used as a comport. Who made it? With absolute certainty I say Brockwitz of Germany. I have researched and written a lot about this pattern, and the different makers of it in my books.

The Brockwitz patern name was "Zurich" - however, Carnival collectors found and named the pattern long before the Brockwitz patterns came to light. So "Curved Star" it is.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »
Hi Tiger,
joining Glen, as further information: this 'Zürich' bowl appears in Brockwitz catalogue of 1915 as item # 22313 Zuckerschale  14 cm

It is not mentioned whether diametre or height neither here (12) nor there (14)  :?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:21:25 AM »
Normal convention is height for vases and diameter for bowls. But there are exceptions to the rule.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:21 AM »
Pamela - these Curved Star aka Zurich stemmed sugars are all 12 cm high (approx). The 14cm measurement is the diameter across the open top.

Although the Curved Star aka Zurich range appears in the Brockwitz 1915 catalogue, it is currently not proven that the sugar was made in Carnival at that time. Other shapes in the pattern certainly were made in Carnival in 1915 though - for example, the Curved Star cylinder vase.

Glen

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:44:04 PM »
Many thanks for your help everyone.  :D

It's been a while since my last carnival post. It seems like two years actually. Thats probably because it's very difficult for me to come by anything within my budget. Carnival glass seems fairly uncommon on car boots these days. The last time I went to Tynemouth Antique fair I didn't even see any.  I would imagine that most of the dealers are selling them on "eBay"

Quote from: "Glen"
The first item is known as "Blocked Diamond" and is the bottom half of a mustard or honey/jam pot. The lid has a hole in for the spoon handle. The maker has not yet been confirmed, but is undoubtedly European.

I had a very sneaky suspicion that there was something missing from that piece. Something about the long shape and the rim. This was given to me by a friend.

I am attempting to collect carnival glass patterns that I don't recognise to learn a bit more about them. I have found that if I handle the piece in question it is much easier to remember the pattern and it's rarity if any. It's also a lot of fun too. Of course, most of these carnival glass items that I buy are damaged but I only pay around £2 or less for them.

I seem to be picking up a few bits of carnival glass by unknown European makers (three in total), I'm just wondering if there are many more Unknown makers to patterns out there?

The other item is a "Curved Star" open sugar bowl. It can also be used as a comport. Who made it? With absolute certainty I say Brockwitz of Germany. I have researched and written a lot about this pattern, an the different makers of it in my books.

The Brockwitz pattern name was "Zurich" - however, Carnival collectors found and named the pattern long before the Brockwitz patterns came to light. So "Curved Star" it is.

Glen

Thanks, I did read the various threads on this board about this pattern. Infact, if I ever dissapear for a while I'm probably reading a previous thread or making a cup of coffee, one or the other.  :lol:

Once again, thank you.  8)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 12:50:40 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I seem to be picking up a few bits of carnival glass by unknown European makers (three in total), I'm just wondering if there are many more Unknown makers to patterns out there?

Oh yes! I spend a lot of my time researching exactly that! It's exciting, challenging and frustrating..........all at the same time.

I think you are right to acquire pieces when you can and study them. The glass itself can reveal a lot. It's a bit like forensic study (look at the epithelials  :shock: ) - couple that with documentary evidence, and it hopefully comes together.

GLASS CSI  :lol:

Glen

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 01:27:41 PM »
I think you are right to acquire pieces when you can and study them. The glass itself can reveal a lot. It's a bit like forensic study (look at the epithelials  :shock: ) - couple that with documentary evidence, and it hopefully comes together.

GLASS CSI  :lol:

Glen

Look at the Epithelials? That sounds a bit rude.  :oops:

"Glass CSI" as in Crime Stoppers International?  :shock:  :wink:

"couple that with documentary evidence"

:idea:  :lol:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »
Epithelials = skin and tissue traces that provide DNA, I think.
I liken them to the signature characteristics found on different examples of Carnival Glass - that might help to determine the maker.

CSI - Crime Scene Investigation. I prefer to think of it as Carnival Scene Investigation.  :lol:

Glen

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 02:18:01 PM »
Tiger obviously doesn't watch as much Channel 5 as us Glen :lol: