No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium tulip wine glass. I.d request  (Read 474 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Uranium tulip wine glass. I.d request
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:08:35 AM »
Hi, I am struggling to obtain any info. regarding, what I can only describe as an elegant, I must say, unusual looking wine glass.  I have tested it for the presents of uranium, which certainly does glow in a darkened area.   The patterned design, is in the shape of diamonds with all sides of each diamond, curved inwards.  The points of the diamons, does not meet, if that makes sense.   The cup has that knobbly feel, which is more prominent on the outer side.   lots of very minute air pockets are visible on close up inspection within the wall of the cup.  A very small section of where the stem meets the bowl also consists of uranium content, this glows too.    The actual height of the wine glass is 16.2cm,  cup rim dia. 5.9cm and the support stand dia. 6.4cm.    The support stand base is slightly concaved, with only 0.4cm of the outer edge that actually meets a flat surface.  There are a few small air pockets within the thickness of the base stand and also under magnification there appears to be evenly spaced ring marks.   I have no idea who made it, but would at a guess I would be enclined to say, it was made in the 1920's,........... could be earlier? ::)   Any help appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Uranium tulip wine glass. I.d request
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »
morning Otis.               In view of the height of the stem I'd suggest a goblet rather than a wine.

attached is a pic showing a very similar pair of tulip goblets which have the single word 'Webb' backstamp  -  these bowls also glow  -  and the suface effect pattern appears to be something called 'Moire', introduced about 1907, although the glasses are much later, I'm sure.
Unfortunately, as we know only too well there is much T/Webb material out there which is unmarked.
The underside of the foot on mine are simply flat with just the hint of a raised area in the centre  -  definitely not a ground/polished pontil depression.

Regret I can't see the surface pattern on your bowls clearly enough to match with the book  -  it might be possibly be honeycomb, pineapple or lattice even. 

I'd have thought that these things might date to around 1930 or thereabouts, but am really not sure.          Backstamps can be a bit misleading and as people have commented previously, date lines for beginning and end are a bit blurred.         
I don't know whether Webb used uranium after 1945 or not.

I'd say definitely not Stuart  -  I've yet to see a piece from that factory with uranium.

Anyway, it's possible that your piece might be T/Webb, but nothing more definite than that I'm afraid. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
Hi Paul, noted, 'goblet'.  I will ensure that a better quality picture of the surface pattern design is done tomorrow in natural lighting as appose to Fluorescent .   I would have never of thought my piece could possible be by T/Webb.   Hopefully my picture will shed some more light.   Very grateful for you help. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Here are some additional pictures taken. The second pictures appears to show an improved contrast in relation to the pattern design.   I hope this will be of some help Paul S.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand