No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amberina?? oil lamp shade  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Amberina?? oil lamp shade
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »
Paul

In my opinion amberina is a too widely used term for any glass shading from amber to red. 

The original and, to me only true amberina, was a lead based glass with colloidal gold which was amber when melted and formed.  Then it was struck to create a beautiful deep red colour in the portions of the item that were reheated.  It was patented by Joseph Locke for the New England Glass Co. in July 1883.  This was made in the period 1883 to perhaps 1917.  This glass is extremely heavy due to the lead content of the glass.  None of my true amberina fluoresces under black light.

There was other red shading to amber glass items made in the same time frame where a thin layer of red glass was plated over amber glass.  This technique appears to have originated in Europe (likely Bohemia) but quickly was taken up in the US.  This "so-called German Amberina" (quoted from a contemporary report) was much cheaper to make than true amberina as only the red plating needed to have gold in the formula.

Then you have the 20th century selenium version of amberina which has a very orange shade to it - your goblet is an example.  I call this faux  or wannabe amberina.  This glass is non-lead and thus the objects are relatively light.  Some of this faux amberina fluoresces orange under a UV lamp.

David - Size of your item?  Have you put a UV lamp on it? Is it lead based?

Sid

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:50 AM »
If you are asking for a "states" view...when I looked at this piece I did not consider it to be Amberina...I considered the top 1/2 flashed red not reheated, but thats simply my opinion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
thanks to Sid and Ohio for contributing  -  it does help to have a more experienced opinion. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand