No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano? Pre 1940's Bubble Caged Pendant Light  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Lochnivar

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • UK
Murano? Pre 1940's Bubble Caged Pendant Light
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
Hi all,

I bought this today from a lovely retired couple in their 90's who had discovered it along with two others in a French farmhouse restoration they did in the early 1940's.    When they retired back to the UK they brought this one back with them as it was in the best condition as the other two were damaged.  They were convinced it was pre 1940's. 

I've seen very similar Seguso Murano designs but this does appear to be a older due to its Iron work (note raised joins/brackets) and the glass is blue (I haven't seen any similar pendant bubble caged lamps/lights in this colour). 

There is no label or signature that I can find.

**EDIT - Apologies, I jumped straight to this forum topic without realising requests for IDs were frowned upon, Mod: Please Delete this thread if unsuitable, I've reposted this to the Glass ID topic**

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Murano? Pre 1940's Bubble Caged Pendant Light
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
Whitefriars and Nazeing  did a range like that all documented I believe . see Nazeing book by G Timberlake pages 98 to 102 yours looks very much like Belfry , hall lantern pattern 75/10 . 1950s catalogue .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »
JP do you have a reference for those please?

I was going by the ironwork which looks period  30's and the design of the metal grill shape which is very similar to the design in the Reich catalogue (the backstory seems to support it being period 30s as well, however memory is a funny thing :)  )

These have been discussed variously on the board.  There is one labelled Murano Italy found here for example that does look similar in design  to the one in the Reich catalogue.  However the ironwork is very different and doesn't look to date to the 30s whereas the iron on the purple one does -
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37130.msg202839.html#msg202839

Love to see the Whitefriars and Nazeing examples
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
This is a link to a thread showing Nazeing examples:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1636.msg10719.html#msg10719

m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
the two sheets of the cat depicts the range made post war in many cases the names were same as the pre war originals but shapes were changed these were  the range which used mono nickel non rusting square profile wire  the available colours have been reduced to three , crystal ,peach and golden amber  . a later change indicated on the page substitutes Amethyst in place of peach ,this is a brief note as am rushing out and cant find my reading glasses hope it helps , I have seen quite a few over the years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand