No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perthshire ID PLZ  (Read 939 times)

Offline kap320

• Members
Perthshire ID PLZ
« on: October 02, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
I'm attaching a pic (sorry for quality). It's listed as a Perthshire --1986 sulfide--the statue of liberty re-opening. I can't find it in either of my Perthshire books. Did Perthshire even make sulfides?  A little bit of help would be appreciated---Thanks--Ken

[Mod: copy of eBay image (item 251350474894) removed as per Board Guidelines]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Perthshire ID PLZ
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:15:04 PM »
Your photo is resized way too small for an oldie like me to see any detail at all.  I find that for complex shapes like this a target dimension of about 500x500 pixels will work out close to the GMB limit of 125Kb per photo.  If you are uncertain how to achieve that try reading the information in the reference section (above the Glass section this is in).  If all else fails talk to Anne who runs the board she will sort you out.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »
Hi Ken

I think there are quite a lot of Perthshire weights that do not appear in the books. Mahoney & McClanahan stops in 1997, whereas there were the usual Annual Editions and new PP series weights right through until 2001 - 2002.  I would imagine there are quite a few special editions that are not recorded as well.

That said, I cannot see the canes in detail, so it may not be a Perthshire paperweight.  Caithness Glass made sulphide paperweights, and made many special editions.  The canes would distinguish between the two makers (and might rule out both).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:40:49 AM »
With the small picture, I can't be sure what you have, but I'm going to take a guess and say this is a St. Louis Sulphide.  If so, one of the millefiori canes should say "SL 1986".  I've used to have one (see below).  The paperweight consists of a sulphide of Liberty surrounded by a millefiori garland on an cobalt blue ground.  The garland is made up of French Botonee crosses.  The paperweight was made by Cristalleries de St. Louis in France.

It is fairly rare and is an undocumented weight, at least as far as the standard reference on St. Louis goes.  The book by Gerard Ingold "The Art of the Paperweight - Saint Louis" does not list this weight.  It includes a similar limited edition weight with a gold Liberty inclusion and simple a simple star garland for 1986.  That edition was limited to 250 weights.  At the time that I purchased it, I thought this paperweight might be a prototype for the weight listed in the book, but have since been told by another collector that this may have been a special issue sold to support the restoration of the Statue of Liberty or given to significant donors.  I was told that it was never sold through paperweight dealers.

Perhaps you are looking at the one on eBay (251350474894). 

Hope this helps.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kap320

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
Spot on Allan--Thank you very much--I'm a Perthshire collector but this caught my eye. Any rough idea of value? I've been to your web site and you have some nice weights. If you run across a Perthshire "silk worm on leaf" please contact me. I have a picture if you need it. Thanks--ken      kap320 @  hotmail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand