No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Here's one for the Sulphide fans.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Here's one for the Sulphide fans.
« on: October 02, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
I'm guessing this is American, it's clearly old, not crystal clear, spin marks on the glass, etc.

It has an impressed mark on the bottom - L I  though the I looks a lot like an H, but if it's an H, that makes the L upside down, and backwards.

I'm wondering if this may be an old old paperweight, New England, Boston, Sandwich?

Any comments gratefully received.

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Here's one for the Sulphide fans.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
Hi

I don't reconise the impressed mark, but the fact it has such a mark suggests 20th century to me.  I think you can safely rule out the three makers you mention - it looks nothing like any of their pieces that I have seen.  Is it heavy lead crystal?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
After staring at the photos for a while, I realised that the sulphide was not a flower of some kind, but is a "white-backed turtle" [if there is such an animal].

So, what do we know about makers of turtle weights, other than the Gillinder-type of "animated turtles"?
KevinH

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
I'd vote H for Hamon.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Only other turtle I know of is this one I sold recently by Ferro & Lazzarini, Murano.

Nick

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
Several of the midwest paperweight artist made paperweights with sulphide turtles.  Hamon, St. Clair, Joe Rice, Jim Davis, Charels Gibson, to name a few etc.  This one was apparently bleached from laying out in the sun too much!

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback.

I have sulphides from every American mentioned, Hamon, Joe Rice, Joe St. Clair Monte Dunleavy, Gibson, Gentile, Jim Hopper, etc.

All have been from the 70's through the 2007.

They all have had pristine globes, crystal clear, no lines, etc. Perhaps this piece was by a new apprentice, working for one of the above, but the glass is somewhat dark, and if it were a window, I would say it's more the consistency of water glass. The exterior has what I call "spin" marks, if this were a cast piece instead of a blown piece, I would say it has mold marks.

it has a completely translucent ground whereas the other sulphides I have all have a substantial solid ground, even when translucent, the ground has still been much more defined.

Even the deepest impressions of Joe Rice, and St. Clair, are only half as deep as the impressed I L or H.

Still a mystery to me, but thanks everyone for playing, : )

Bob
Bob Kegeles

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand