No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed boat with ribbed base.  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
pressed boat with ribbed base.
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »
I'm sure this shape has a name, but boats not my thing, although some very minor damage to what looks like the bits you put oars in, so obviously a rowing craft of some kind (clinker built I believe you're supposed to say) :)
No marks of any sort, and although it has some wear, age might be just about anywhere.            About 13" long (330 mm)

I just thought the shape was unusual   -  so used to seeing designs such as the Soweby boats  - and it wasn't expensive.

Hope someone might recognize this one, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: pressed boat with ribbed base.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
meant to add that I'm assuming it's a posy trough.??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:32:24 AM »
The ss banana split?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »
I would go with pen tray, especially with the rowlocks for resting your pen on

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
I have sadly mislaid my copy of Jenny Thompsons ‘Supplement…’, so I’m unable to check for sure, but I seem to recall something similar illustrated under the section for Joseph Webb, Coalbourn Hill, Wordsley – RD 268883-4 (registered by Jane Webb and Joseph Hammond, executors, on December 19 1872 – Parcel 3), described as a ‘flower boat’. I seem to recall that it had clinkered sides.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
good try Fred but..................268883 is indeed a clinker built boat, but it has different style of bow and stern, and lacks Christine's rowlocks.         268884 is for a plate of sorts.             Will post Archive pix later tomorrow.               thanks for looking :)

I'm inclined to think that a pen tray is possibly a good suggestion.

I've been lazy and busy, and not yet looked for this in the Sko Union CD, neither have I yet tried Pamela's resources.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 04:42:58 AM »
Paul, don't waste your time, haven't got this... however, that pattern reminds me of my Percival, Vickers jardinière here which is also looking very modern and brand-new and is actually a late 19th century design  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
thanks Pamela and appreciate your suggestion  - gosh you were up early this morning...........or was it a late night ;).             
I'm not that well up on this type of ornamental piece - although I think those holders for the oars are a distinctive feature but I can't recall seeing them before  -  there are plenty of boats, but none I've seen yet has that sort of design.                   Perhaps if we knew which period and country this boat was typical of, we might get a better idea of its origin.

As promised, here are pix of British Board of Trade Rd. Nos. 268883/4, as mentioned by Fred  -  268883 is similar, but lacking those distinctive features for the oars :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
Sorry Paul I can be of no help. I have never seen one before and do not have a clue as to maker.

Roy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
here around the Adriatic, boats are used in ice cream parlors and spoons serve as oars. I spotted something really similar this morning in a slasticarna in pink lustre earthenware - the type of centerpiece gondola to put you off ice cream forever.
From slovenia :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand