No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it Begium, French or ? Bubbles/Honeycomb  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Is it Begium, French or ? Bubbles/Honeycomb
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
Dear Glass Friends,

how about this...can anybody give me an idea of the origin of this weight - 2 3/4" diameter, 1 3/4 " tall. Ground Pontil with basel ring 1 1/2" diameter. Honeycomb bubbles on upper surface, beautifully and consistently drawn to the very centre of the base.

Yours in anticipation and with thanks.

Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is it Begium, French or ? Bubbles/Honeycomb
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »

Hi.  I have a near identical piece: mine is hollow blown, as I suspaect yours is. I think they are blown into a mould, then finished.  My feeling is that they might be English, and Victorian era, but the technique is common to many areas. If anyone can give a positive ID I would be grateful to know as well!

Incidentally, the messy Old English paperweight in one of your images is another of these 'who made it?' challenges. P:robably Richardson, but maybe some other factory.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »
Alan,

thank you. 

You're right it has a  hollow feel to it, positively a lightweight compared to that lump behind it.  :)

Is it the drawn bubbles to the central pontil on the base that leads you to a possible English player; similar to older English pieces?

It has a very " bright finish " and the basel ring has wear. It's profile has the feel of a larger miniature,  slightly  rounded at the edges, not a doughnut like the magnum behind it.

It's profile feels like a Clichy piece and the basel ring is similarly proportioned. Is there a typical Clichy profile ratio, I'll happily do a more thorough measure.

Is there a description to the technique used in creating this finish, or could the finish have a name?

I guess you may have asked similar questions.

Would you be able to post pictures too? I know your's will have greater clarity.

Yours

Andrew

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »

Hi Andrew.

I can't find mine - I know it was in one of my boxes of mixed scruffy bits (a technical phrase...) to send to auction, and I think it probably went for sale several months ago.  If you got yours recently, and it has an internal flaw inside the base that is only visible from certain angles, it is probably the same piece.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
Alan et al,

somebody has it listed as American!

http://paperweightcollection.com/paperweight%20website/antiqueamerican.htm

I'll keep hunting.

Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk