No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Depression cake stand pattern like fireworks,sun purpled anyone know its Id  (Read 993 times)

Offline kittykittykitty

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Anything Beautiful
Hi everyone,
I have this cake stand that I cannot find the pattern,any help would be great.
Seam lines with afew bubbles,22cms across x 14cms high.
Tia
I was kitty-kat1234

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hello kitty.           If you meant 'Depression' as in the States sense, then just possibly it may not be in that category.                Don't know where you are, but the material we see in the U.K. that is classified usually as being from factories such as Jeannette and Hazel Atlas etc. has conspicuous fine moulding detail, as opposed to this more heavy/bold patterning, which might indicate a European origin.
From where did you source this stand? :)             Of course, you may know shed loads more than me about these things, but what in particular makes you say Depression??

Sorry, but can't help with an id for this piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kittykittykitty

• Members
    • Anything Beautiful
Hi Paul,thanks for popping in  ;D

I am in Australia, basically me saying "Depression" is because of the bubbles,seam marks & sun purpled colour & similar pieces I have seen,this is what we call it here. Where the manganese in the glass turn it purple due to sun exposure over time.I do know in the States if this happens its considered bad,over here we love it.                                         So that's it,no great knowledge here  ;D ;D

Yes the seams are not smooth,quite rough infact,its not quality in the sense like other glass pieces.

Cheers
I was kitty-kat1234

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hi kitty :)..........            I think you'll find - at least on the GMB - that when speaking of 'depression glass', people here will be referring specifically to those States factories that I mentioned (and of course others from that era which produced similar patterns/designs).
Don't think the features you mention are referred to especially as being indications of 'depression glass'  -  they're found commonly on much pressed glass from 1850 - 1950 - so you might get a better response by removing 'depression' in the  heading and using simply 'pressed glass'. :)

Fashions must have changed...............there was a time when the States collectors wanted the sun-purpling effect - to such an extent that the less scrupulous would create 75 years worth in the space of a day or so by exposing the glass to ultra-violet.
The thinking was that if a piece was sun-purpled it must be old and so an antique, and so seeing a dollar to two to be made, the fakers got to work - they called it 'nuking'.              I understand that some EAPG was being 'purpled' delberately, although that's a crime since it ruins a good genuinely old piece of glass, and apparently the process is irreversible.

So, just a suggestion to be wary of high priced 'sun-purpled' allegedly old pressed glass. :

Hope some of the pressed experts will look in at your cake stand. :)

Offline kittykittykitty

• Members
    • Anything Beautiful
Thanks again Paul I will amend the title.

The first thing people say "here in Oz" when they see purple,green old glass is "depression glass"
I don't always explain myself well,always in a rush, I was saying depression because of  the sun purpled colour,air bubbles,pressed glass pattern ( though I know some  Americans prefer Pattern glass) unsmooth seams & its over all style.

Thanks for the lesson/help I need it,cheers
I was kitty-kat1234

Offline kittykittykitty

• Members
    • Anything Beautiful
Just tried to edit title,hope it works,nope :'(
I was kitty-kat1234

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I'd imagine it's the Mods only who are able to amend existing posts :)

I'm sure the States people will confirm whether the 'P' in EAPG is more correctly 'Pressed' or 'Pattern'.............although it probably doesn't matter, since we know what is being implied, but it's a fact that much confusion results from inappropriate use of words .
Since forums like the GMB are global, then probably best to stick to tried and tested descriptions rather than local or personal preferences. :)

'Depression' is probably best confined to the States facories we've already discussed and which was made in the 1930's.             Nothing wrong with sun purpled though, and everyone should know what that means, and the other comments you made are self-evident.
If in doubt, then a more detailed explanation of features is preferable than not enough, plus, of course, good pictures.

Like anything else, pressed glass is often datable, approximately, by things like overall design and style and by shape/nature, none of which is infallible since as you'll know many styles were copied and made over a long period of time.            Try some books on pressed glass, if you don't have any that is, but with a popular item like cake stands I guess there must have been a zillion over the years, a high proportion of which will probably defy attribution/provenance.             

Sorry to hear you're 'always in a rush', hope you don't drop the glass and break it ;)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Paul you are correct in saying "P" can be used as pressed or pattern for the most part over here...its pretty much interchangable. As far as Depression glass goes its split into two groups that should not be confused, (1) inexpensive mass-produced colored glass during the 30s Depression usually with molded patterns & (2) Depression Era glass which is glass produced in the 30s other than the above inexpensive Depression glass since many major glass companies did not produce Depression glass during this time period.

As far as sun-purple goes...its a bit geographic. SE & SW U.S. where the climate provides sunshine most of the year its somewhat (with emphasis on somewhat) acceptable. In my area of the midwest it is not acceptable & is ignored (as in it will not sell).  Ken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
hello Ken  -  very much appreciate the clarification and help with this one - thanks. :)

Offline kittykittykitty

• Members
    • Anything Beautiful
Many thanks Ohio for your input  ;D

I find it strange that flint glass that can change colour naturally is disliked by some, but we all like different things thank goodness coz it makes it more interesting.

As I will be selling this here in Oz I will use the terms we use here.

If a mod see's this thread could they please change the title to Pressed/patterned glass,TIA

I was kitty-kat1234

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand