No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who said Chance glass wasn't collectable?  (Read 28662 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Who said Chance glass wasn't collectable?
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:30:57 PM »
Now the auction has finished I can point everyone to it:

Posy (Handkerchief) Vase

With less than two hours to go this was stuck at £28.00, but finished at £200.50 — sure, it's a very uncommon one but I'm quite staggered :shock:

Jeez, most Venini fazzolettos don't realise that. Oh, and Birmingham has more canals than Venice as well! :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:01:27 PM »
Well...knock me down with a feather!!! Unbelievable!!!! Maybe I should think seriously about selling my Cut Pearl intaglio set?   Just be my luck it would die a death!!!  Emmi

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:43 PM »
bludddyyyyyyy hellllllll!  That is truly amazing!  :shock:  :shock:

I'm lost for words.  It does seem truly extraordinary.   :shock:  

Like Emmi says though...if I were to sell my Escher vases, they'd probably go for £2.50 or something.  THere's just no telling with Ebay which way it'll go.  :?
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:09:15 PM »
Emmi, the Cut Pearl should realise a much higher price, but as with all things the presentation is all-important. If you want me to write a little html code that you can insert into the eBay listing, this should enhance it. You shouldn't have a problem with your photos though, but a really detailed close-up would help I reckon. 8)

List it on Friday evening for 10-days. That way you get two weekends coverage and it finishes on a Monday (quiet and therefore less opposition IMHO)

Max: same applies! :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:24:46 PM »
David, thanks so much for your offer....I have now got to grips with the basic e-bay html + border thing theyn offer....and it would still look better than this one that's just gone.  Trouble is I am up to my eyes in a moving house operation amongst other things taking up so much time, but I may now seriously consider it.  I noticed this one was an open auction starting at about £2.00.....Scarey! But i also think a high BIN price is also scarey for buyers!  What do you think?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 01:37:40 PM »
Amazing :!:  :!:  :shock:

I do think that David had a great deal to do with the high price too.
Having a site and reference to refer to, definitely does help when selling an item.
Davids great site was used in the listing 8)

Or was it you selling it, David :twisted:  :wink:  :lol:  :?:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:38:22 PM »
I noticed this one was an open auction starting at about £2.00.....Scarey! But i also think a high BIN price is also scarey for buyers! What do you think?

My own thoughts is to start it at a very reasoanble price (£29.95, perhaps) to encourage people to at least look. Plenty of mouth-watering piccies will persuade them well enough that this is genuine. Be very verbose with the text as well and make sure there's no doubting the validity and desirability of the item (you've probably seen my long-winded descriptions :lol:)

But even starting at 0.01p wouldn't be a problem as I know there are enough people who will pay big bucks for this - probably even more if it was the ruby intaglio.

I really don't think you'll have a problem getting a 3-figure sum, although you could set the BiN at a silly price just to see if anyone bites :P £350, £400? You never know...

Another thought is to split the two items and sell them separately.

Finally, of all the Posy vases, this and the Ruby are the only ones I would always have on display with absolute pride. They really are the bees-knees 8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 01:42:11 PM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
Amazing :!:  :!:  :shock:

I do think that David had a great deal to do with the high price too.

:oops: I'm feeling guilty now! I said to Anne a long time ago that it's quite frightening that people are hanging on every word to sell their own items, so I've tried hard to be as subjective as possible. Even minimising the use of the dreaded "rare" word :D

Having a site and reference to refer to, definitely does help when selling an item.
Davids great site was used in the listing 8)

Or was it you selling it, David :twisted:  :wink:  :lol:  :?:

Thanks a lot Della, it really is appreciated.

No, not mine, but wished it was... :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:59:34 PM »
Well I may just do a high B I N and see what happens.....if it doesn't sell it's not a big deal, but it would be nice.

Rather it didn't sell than sell at a pathetic price, so in for a penny in for ...????

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »
Pre the web catalogue Pirelli sold at 2 to 5 pounds. Now they sell for ten to thirty times those figures.

The principle as old as the hills, get the information out there AND seen then up go the prices.

Richard Dennis is well known for taking this to the extreme.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand