No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who said Chance glass wasn't collectable?  (Read 28656 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Who said Chance glass wasn't collectable?
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »
K, as a suggestion you could use Anne's Glass Gallery - it's there for the benefit of GMB members. The problem with TinyPic is that the photos have a limited 'shelf-life' and will eventually be discarded.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk

The vase you show is the type I have seen before so I'm assuming this other one is an oddity and have asked the seller for use of the photo. Yours will still get a good price though!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2006, 04:49:48 PM »
Yeah I thought it would be more 'natural' to go dark colour at bottom then lighter colour. Wonder if all the wide band models have a 'dark side'!! Or do you think someone at the factory had a sense of humour & thought they would leave the rest of us puzzling over oddities for years!! Purchased a 7" black cordon recently which exactly fits the transfer (no clear glass at edge) Wonder who spent the time getting an exact fit???

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2006, 05:26:43 PM »
Chance were always experimenting and these oddities can often be test pieces. The 'correct' way is white, light colour, dark colour, so this one is very odd.

As they were silk-screen printed, it could just have been someone using the wrong enamel at the wrong time!

With respect to the Cordon vase: it is possible these was enamel sprayed rather than silk-screened, which doesn't allow printing to the edge. Difficult to tell the difference, but if you use a magnifying lgass you may just detect a slight texture of a regular pattern (the screen). Sprayed vases would not have any definable pattern.

However, if the white portion is smooth as a babies botty, then you're looking at opal glass (very rare) - see Nic's topic...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6869.0.html

This vase is rare on three counts: opal glass, no pattern and 8" tall  :shock:  :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:39 AM »
well have had a good look at it & am really none the wiser!! It's definately 7" & appears to be clear glass (although it is really hard to tell with nothing to compare it to!!) the pattern feels the same as all the other cordon vases I have (7" & 4") am in the process of borrowing a magnifying glass & my husbands eyes for a closer look!! Have looked at Nic's & it does have the similarity of the pattern to the edges though so at least I'm not completely odd!!!!  :?

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2006, 11:34:07 AM »
When you are measuring the handkerchief vases, are you measuring height  to the highest point or across the widest part of the rim?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2006, 12:51:24 PM »
to the points (roughly!!) Dencill is the expert I struggled to find a ruler!!

Offline Glass Message Board

• Committee
  • Members
    • Glass Message Board
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2006, 03:36:24 PM »
Measure vertically to a point. This is only a rough guide but it does help to distinguish between the four sizes: 4", 5", 7", 8" (10, 12.5, 17.5, 20 cm)
This is an official message by the Glass Message Board Committee.

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
woo hoo my first 5"  :shock:
a yellow & orange (or is it orange & yellow) gingham looks outta place tho do I put it with the 4" ones or the 7" ones or get hubby to put up another shelf!

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2006, 03:47:33 PM »
Quote from: "K"
woo hoo my first 5"  :shock:
a yellow & orange (or is it orange & yellow) gingham looks outta place tho do I put it with the 4" ones or the 7" ones or get hubby to put up another shelf!

Well done: now get the 4" and 7" ones to accompany it (I have both, but not the 5" one!) - but I do have a complete set of rrd polka-dots :D

K, if you can supply a photo of your oddity I might be able to tell you a little more.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline K

• Members
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2006, 10:32:21 AM »
well I have the 4" but not the 7" p&p tends to blow the budget & I do like to get a bargain! got 2 4" & 2 7" ones for £7 recently cos someone bid & didnt pay! am having trouble getting pics onto gallery (not my fault I was born blonde!) have put them on yahoo hopefully that will work

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/y634rrp/album?.dir=c5a6re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand