No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hobnail cheese dome  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Hobnail cheese dome
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
thanks Glen  -  you did remarkably well to find this in such an archive - would not have occured to me to look there.

It does seem to have a remarkable likeness - the slight variation on the height of the dish appears (visually) to be due to the museum example having an almost down-turned dish rim  -  whereas mine, (and possibly Angela's) has an upturned rim.

I think the description of cake stand, perhaps whilst wrong, is understandable.          I recall going into tea rooms and and restaurants where cakes were protected by sitting under large bell shaped covers (clear ones though, usually).

In view of the lack of Rd. No. or other defining trade marks on the two examples from the GMB, and presumably from the Tyne & Wear piece, I think it would be o.k. to ask the museum for details of the source of their attribution.         Would certainly be useful for the GMB archives.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
Thompson doesn't specifically mention any hobnail patterned cheese bells/stands from Ed. Moore, but if you look at page 20 there are a couple of oval biscuit boxes, so going in the right direction I suppose.

Apparently Ed. Moore purchase a lot of Joseph Webb's moulds at some point, and then when Moore went out of business a lot of thier moulds went to George Davidson.............   so sounds a bit complicated.

I've sent an email to the T. & W. museum, and seems that have a policy of replying within ten days  -  so will pass on whatever comments they make.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
I've not forgotten this one..................    Been speaking to the museum and understand they have an original Ed. Moore catalogue from which they say that their attribution was sourced.            I've sent pix of the cheese dome/bell to them, and they are checking just to make sure of the provenance.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
thanks Paul  ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Now have reply from the T & W museum - as shown below - and I've discussed with them the fact that Ed. Moore weren't alone in producing a 'hobnail' pattern, which probably means that at the end of the day we're not able to be 100% sure about the attribution, but judging by the comments from the museum, they seem satisfied.            If anyone wishes to comment further, please feel free. :)

"Hello Paul, thanks for your last e-mail. I have tracked down TWCMS2002.1254, its in our own museum here in South Shields. The plate has had a poor repair at sometime, but despite that it is a niece piece of glass, it was donated to the museum in 1973 by a local South Shields man.
 Now the million dollar question did Edward Moore make it ? I believe it was made by the Moore factory here in South Shields in about 1880 ?. It is not in the 1870 cat, but it has all the Moore characteristics and the fact it was donated by a Shields man who no doubt had it passed down though the family. My book on Moore will be titled "Granny Glass"because here in the North East glass was passed down in the family, mothers to daughters etc.  I hope this info helps and for what its worth i am more than happy to attribute your glass to Edward Moore's Tyne Flint Glassworks.  Regards""

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
Brilliant  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand