No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Saving Archimede Seguso  (Read 2232 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Saving Archimede Seguso
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:33:06 AM »
Hi Guys - I live in Bilpin in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney and we have made the international news by the bush fires going through the area.

It was interesting what A.S. pieces I decided to put in the back of the ute and save versus the ones I was going to lose if the fire took the house. I grabbed the large bowl and the large silver pillow vase. Then I was surprised as I wanted to save a perfume set that is damaged but I just love the colour of it versus the pristine set which I was prepared to lose.

I also grabbed several A.S. Lamps for the new house and the final thing was the 7 wall sconces not by A.S. but which would be important in the new house.

I left off the list about 20 pieces by A.S. and was left wondering how much I would miss them if the fires got them.

These are some of those I chose to 'save'. Luckily the fires missed our place [so far].

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline fontanazul

• Members
  • Kristal-Poesie
    • Czech sklo
    • Málaga - Spain
Re: Saving Archimede Seguso
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
Tragic but beautiful story of the fire and the Crystals.

What Crystal would save our collection?
Which we would get to a desert island?

difficult question
Daniel Muriel . [Kristal Poesie]

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »
 :'(

I'm truly sad to hear you have been put in this position in the first place.

I'd have grabbed your large "shell-like" bowl myself...  ;)

But yes, it's funny-peculiar what actually grabs your heartstrings the most, when it comes to the threat of loosing it.

I surprised myself when I did it as an intellectual exercise. There were some small things I would not have thought of as being of extreme value, but I suddenly realised were just perfection... in their own way, and that they would come before much more expensive things.

I'd have taken a 7.5" amethyst and blue two-tone Mdina Helter-skelter bottle from the mid '70s before my Crizzle Stone.

I hope all your glass does survive Ardy - but more importantly you and your l9ved ones and all your property.. not just the glass.

Don't breathe the smoke in if you can help it...

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:34:29 AM »
Hi Sue and fontan' - Bit too late Sue nobody missed breathing in smoke, but we only had 3 days of it as the wind was good for us. Some of our friends 20 k's away were in it for a week!

Seems the worst has past and my pieces are back in storage [ready to be grabbed] and all seems well. Big back burning exercises going on.

Funny when I put them back in the storage area I was quite happy with what I grabbed. Alison took that photo of the fires behind us. This is what it looked like from the front of house to the back...and the wind was gusting at 100 km hr.

Quite exciting times and Alison stayed calm and was prepared to jump in the dam as a last resort.

Maybe I should have dumped all my glass in the dam at least it would have survived. You only think of these things when it is 'over'.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
Samuel Pepys buried his precious parmesan cheese in the ground to save it during the great fire of London.

I'm very glad you're ok.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
Very glad to hear you are ok.  We were watching with shock and remembering our days driving through such a beautiful place.
m.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand