No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood candle holder  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Ursa_major

• Members
    • UK Leicestershire
Wedgwood candle holder
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
I have been unable to find anything about this one although it is clearly marked. Can anyone help with a model name or number or designer? Thanks
Bruce

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Wedgwood candle holder
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »
Regret to say that Susan Tobin's book - 'Wedgwood Glass' - appears not to include a picture of this particular design.            However, in chapter 5 - 'Candlesticks and Candleholders', there is the following paragraph..........

"Other coded but unnamed candlestick, candleholder and table lantern designs were also produced.         Several of these designs were able to accommodate at least two candle sizes - standard and broad based.               A couple of these wider candleholders could also be used as posy vases."

These 'others' were obviously pieces separate from the well known Sheringham, Sandringham, Brancaster, Cromer and Helix.        At first I thought the reference to 'posy vases' might refer to your piece, which certainly looks like a posy/violet vase atop a tall stem - but now think that might not be true, but to be honest I'm not sure - yours definitely looks like a posy vase.                In the absence of any dimensions for this piece it's unclear whether it would accommodate a candle - slender or otherwise.
The date period for the usual pieces starts, I think around 1970 and then on until the early 1980's.

Not much help unfortunately  -  we need a Wedgwood expert. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:48 PM »
P.S.            You might try contacting Susan Tobin  -  the lady has contributed to the GMB - although not for a year or two I don't think, and I can't recall the exact occasion  -  it was to do with the long tailed Wedgwood birds I think.

Offline Ursa_major

• Members
    • UK Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »
Thanks for your input I was a little unsure myself as to whether this was a posy vase or perhaps dual purpose, I should have said the item is 15cm tall, the mouth of the bowl is 48mm and the waist of the thistle is approximately 25mm

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand