No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Westwood & Moore, Brierley Hill, glass bottle / flagon RD 330210, 1878.  (Read 3423 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
An  engraved amber glass whisky bottle/ jug / flagon/ decanter. Engraved on the shoulder in rustic lettering, "S" Whisky.  An indistinct registration date lozenge is embossed/ moulded into the bottle, and there is also a clearly-engraved lozenge for 10 December 1878 – Parcel 13.

7 5/8" tall,excluding stopper, ( 19.3cm.)
3 1/4" square base, ( 8.3cm.)
1180gms.

Also has stopper, but not sure if it is original or not.

The base of the bottle has a rough pontil mark, which I think probably indicates that the bottle was mould blown then transferred to a pontil rod for finishing and adding the handle.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Gary Cashmore).

The design (for a ‘square glass bottle with handle at corner’) was registered as RD 330210 on 10 December 1878 by Westwood & Moore, Brierley Hill, Staffs.

Jason Ellis (in his chapter on the Moor Lane Bottleworks, Brierley Hill, on pages 313-316 of his book “Glassmakers of Stourbridge and Dudley 1612-2002”) reveals that the bottleworks stood at the western extremity of North Street, Brierley Hill. Though unclear when Moor Lane Bottleworks was built, it was well established by 1771 under the ownership of Thomas Seager. In 1771 it was then leased to a partnership known as [probably John] Westwood and [possibly Peter] Moore. Fowler’s 1822 map shows the Moor Lane Bottleworks as being the property of Thomas Honeybourne, occupied by Westwood & Moore. From 1823 to 1825 the firm traded as Westwood, Price & Co., and in 1828 the title changed again to Westwood, Moore and Rider (black bottles). In 1835 the firm traded as Westwood, Moore and Rider, bottlemakers, but by 1829 it had obviously started making pottery in addition to glass. Fowler’s 1840 map shows the owner of the property as Joseph Atkinson, having inherited the former Honeybourne estates, and the occupiers as Westwood, Moore & Co. The chief partner in 1857 was Edward Westwood, and by 1878 the business of glass bottle and stone ware manufacture had been sold to his son Charles Westwood in partnership with Richard Alfred Windmill. Charles Westwood and Richard Alfred Windmill appear to cease glassmaking  to concentrate on the manufacture of stoneware, and the Ordnance Survey map of 1884 shows the property as a stone works. Finally, in 1900 the old bottleworks was advertised for sale as a pottery, and the 1901 Ordnance Survey describes the site as ‘Bottle Works (Glass and Stone). The final history of the bottleworks is not known, but the site was eventually covered by the expansion of the G.W.R. marshalling yard.

Fred.

Offline woody114

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique bottles
    • Britain
Re: Westwood & Moore, Brierley Hill, glass bottle / flagon RD 330210, 1878.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
Fantastic Item, i Live in Brierley hill and collect local made glass bottles and pottery, westwood moore and rider were also known for pottery bottles, flagons etc.. as well as producing Codd Bottles, would be interested in acquiring any Brierley hill related items, cheers Steve. 

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Westwood & Moore, Brierley Hill, glass bottle / flagon RD 330210, 1878.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
Welcome to the GMB, Steve.

I have a particular interest in Black Country glass in that, although I live in the Welsh borders now, I was born and brought up in Netherton.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand