No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Please  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
ID Please
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »
This weight is 3.15 inches tall and 3.00 inches wide,two parallel lovely facets and polished flat base. It has a ruby overlay and what I would loosely term a chinese rose inside, no markings anywhere.    What is it?????
      Regards Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: ID Please
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:02:38 PM »
Been doing more research on this weight but the only similar weights are caithness, but they are only similar not the same.
      Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »

Hi Roger

I have kept thinking about it, and I just wonder whether it is one of the better modrn Chinese?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »
Hi there, I feel that it is a probable to be a quality chinese, even the top of all the petals are fairly level and I believe I have heard there is an occasional one with a polished base. However cant remember a chinese overlay, can anyone else??
    Here are a couple of photos of my chinese footed, not a bad rose at all but the overlaid one is even better.
                        Regards Roger

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
Chinese overlay weights have been around for some time. They were made by adding a layer of powdered white and then powdered colour over the white. When cut through, the edges of the facets / windows were "jagged" because of the use of powdered glass. Often the overlay weights were egg shaped with and oval front window - and a Christmas Tree design seemed to be a favourite.

But this item, if is Chinese, is the first I have seen that looks like it was made by gathering or overlaying a single colour on the clear interior. (I am assuming the interior is clear glass as it not too obvious from the photos.)
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
I have seen this before but all I can think of is in the Caithness shop

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:55 PM »
Yes the interior is clear glass, but my opinion is it needs more facets to lighten up the interior.
     The quality is good enough to be a caithness, the base has sufficient marks to denote maybe 10 years old, but that is only a guess.
         Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand