Author Topic: ID coal bucket salt? - ID = Continental Can Company, USA  (Read 635 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: ID coal bucket salt?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
Thank you, James, for the ID of the Adams & Co. coal scuttle / bucket.

Thank you, Sid - so it is! Perhaps I''m just 'scuttle blind' after seeing so many other pressed glass coal scuttles / buckets,  but I can't seem to find it on the Thistlewood Sowerby CD-ROM catalogue sets - the swans and shoes etc. are there on page 34 of the pattern book XV (1895), but not the pattern 1970 coal scuttle.

I notice that the illustration in Thompson does not note it as a regsistered design (but neither does it mention any of the other patterns as being from registered designs either), so it looks as if I can now link the Sowerby pattern 1970 coal scuttle to James's RD 98215 of 18 April 1888. 

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »
Thanks all for information and photo's.   And such a quick response.  I had been looking for two weeks but in the wrong country.

Seems once again I shouldn't have believed a seller.  I didn't expect the manufacture date would be that late and also from U.S.A.  Is cute though.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
not sure of the origin or location of people's purchases of these pieces, but as a suggestion and a way to avoid later problems, might it be an idea if a request for manufacturer attribution was made, prior to purchasing.           Perhaps this might be more appropriate for ebay purchases than the local antiques centre. :)

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
You're 100% correct again Paul.  As it was only a few pounds I took a chance.  I thought the pattern looked familiar and detail looked Victorian to me at the time.  Thanks for your assistance and wise words.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
Picture for reference of Sowerby coal scuttle Rd 98215

Roy

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter