No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID coal bucket salt? - ID = Continental Can Company, USA  (Read 4539 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: ID coal bucket salt?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
Thank you, James, for the ID of the Adams & Co. coal scuttle / bucket.

Thank you, Sid - so it is! Perhaps I''m just 'scuttle blind' after seeing so many other pressed glass coal scuttles / buckets,  but I can't seem to find it on the Thistlewood Sowerby CD-ROM catalogue sets - the swans and shoes etc. are there on page 34 of the pattern book XV (1895), but not the pattern 1970 coal scuttle.

I notice that the illustration in Thompson does not note it as a regsistered design (but neither does it mention any of the other patterns as being from registered designs either), so it looks as if I can now link the Sowerby pattern 1970 coal scuttle to James's RD 98215 of 18 April 1888. 

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »
Thanks all for information and photo's.   And such a quick response.  I had been looking for two weeks but in the wrong country.

Seems once again I shouldn't have believed a seller.  I didn't expect the manufacture date would be that late and also from U.S.A.  Is cute though.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
not sure of the origin or location of people's purchases of these pieces, but as a suggestion and a way to avoid later problems, might it be an idea if a request for manufacturer attribution was made, prior to purchasing.           Perhaps this might be more appropriate for ebay purchases than the local antiques centre. :)

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
You're 100% correct again Paul.  As it was only a few pounds I took a chance.  I thought the pattern looked familiar and detail looked Victorian to me at the time.  Thanks for your assistance and wise words.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
Picture for reference of Sowerby coal scuttle Rd 98215

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand