No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mr Giller for Thomas Webb Etruscan glass vase (also Davis Greathead and Green )  (Read 1189 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just trying to reference some of the pieces in an article in the Art Union Journal which were engravings of vases decorated by Mr Giller (outlines drawn by Mr Battam ) on Thomas Webb glass vases in 1847. 
The engravings are all in black and white and they appeared in the Art Union monthly journal of June 1847 page 223 and 222.
Mostly they described pieces in white with black decoration and touches of red.
However one has the figure not painted in black, but with lots of detail.  This one is described as being in colour - 'coloured vividly in natural tints; the tunic is yellow, decorated with black and red stripes, the inner mantle red,  with black border, the outer one a rich lilac, with black border and white pattern'.
I'll take a pic of the engraving and add it.
It's a lady playing double flutes and next to the figure is a frondy type plant/tall bush decoration.  Borders top and bottom.  That's all that can be seen in the engraving and the description.
Art of Glass currently has a vase on Flickr (see link) that I believe is from this range from Mr Giller and Thomas Webb.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/sets/72157627592071579/

it has frondy type plant up the side and also has blue bells type decoration on it.

Today I came across this pair of vase/lamps
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12972007_pair-vintage-painted-glass-urn-lamps

They also have the bluebell decoration and similar other decoration including the figures.  I think they are also likely to be Thomas Webb/ Mr Giller.
They seem to be the same range as Art of Glass' vase.

But they do have some similarities to the Davis Greathead and Green vases shown in Charles Hajdamach's British Glass 1800-1914. 
This pair of vases (link will disappear as it's ebay unfortunately) have apparently been id as Davis Greathead and Green (see museum pics) and they show the similarities with the Thomas Webb Mr Giller vases I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-Pr-Glass-Vases-Davis-Greathead-Green-Great-Exhibition-1851-Darius-I-/111144019870?nma=true&si=e447Of30ZdzIJI0EiiWjsE6X0jE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH2109a/

I wonder if Davis Greathead and Green vases were also decorated by Mr Giller.  The ones in the book are noted for the damage to the enamels,much like the damage on the pair of lamps.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
According to the Art Journal Illustrated: The Industry of All Nations 1851, ([1851])
page 18
Mr Battam also enamelled glass (my underlining)

'Mr Battam of Johnsons'-Court, Fleet-Street, Enameller of Porcelain and Glass, contributes various Tazze, Vases, &c., imitations of Etrucan art, in form and ornamentation.  These imitations are of rare excellence; in many cases, indeed, they cannot be distinguished, from the originals. ... '

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
So Miller or Battam,we will never know, ::) would like to have seen mine before it got the brillo pad treatment ! still not seen one with the same 'feather' decor below the rim, ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm concentrating on my blue 'possibly Richardson's' but am keeping an eye out for yours and Mel's as well as the Giller's ( and now Battam's) - and as always will post if I find anything  :)
Meanwhile - it might be worth you looking up Battam's because they put in a lot of engravings for the Exhibition of his work in pottery.  If you can match the feathers you might have a start point (caveat being that of course, all these decorations were taken from Etruscan pottery and they probably all copied each other unfortunately).  However, always worth a look round.
m

Offline keith

• Members
Will keep a look out for all things Giller,Battram or Etruscan.... ;D ;D

bfg

I do admire your tenacity m and fully expect you to write the definitive research paper on Giller et al once you're done
 :-*

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 ;D to Mel's comment.  Unlikely I'm afraid, I lose interest as rapidly as I gain it.

This vase has something - I'm not sure what, but it reminded me somehow of the Giller vase I posted above.It's not the same shape I know that and it has handles.  But then when I checked the book for the plate, the dots for the border around the outline of the picture is a fairly 'unusual' device that I haven't noticed anywhere else on my travels, and it is a device used by Mr Giller for one of the vases in the CH plate. (obviously Mr Giller may not have been the only decorator who used this device).  There are no other matches that I could find comparing it to the various vases on the plate though.

Then I compared it to Mel's vase, and there's something about it that is very similar.  Perhaps the black line around the stem at the foot and the flatness of the foot, not sure ... just something.  The flat foot was what the Art Union journal were complaining about in the article re that vase btw.  Also when you click on the back view, the black urn on pedestal, and enlarge it, the wear to the black paint is worn in a very similar way to the black figure on Mel's vase.  Again I can't explain it, but I get the feeling they were both decorated at the same place and made at the same place somehow.
 It is very matt, as though they overdid the acid technique - or that might just be the pics.

So I've added it for interest and observation and comments.
m

http://www.onlinegalleries.com/art-and-antiques/detail/french-opaline-two-handled-vase/149105

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand