No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Glass Need Help  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 11:46:40 AM »
bump and moved to Murano

Offline chuggy

• Members
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 07:57:52 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I thought this looked more like Chalet glass.

To pick up on Davids point, on the occasions when I've been selling pieces by a specific manufacturer say Venini, or Seguso I've had people say don't you have any Murano, or doesn't it look like Murano. Many times it's easier to refer to something as being Murano when dealing with the general public. The other problem with using specific factories names if the piece is not well documented is that you will almost certainly be told you are wrong by someone. Whilst there are some superb books on the more notable Murano houses and artists, many as yet remain quite veiled in details of their output.
Then when one takes all the generic pieces into account, the more notable studios were often reluctant to put their names to such pieces, although historically many were made as part of the education process or for orders by specific stores.
I think the Murano field although my first love, is quite possibly one of the biggest minefields in glass collecting and certainly prompts more discussion that any other.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:00:09 PM »
I hate to say this, but I really don't think it's Italian at all.  I see a lot of this type of glass around here, in the Southwestern United States.  It is from Mexico, and contemporary.  

Sorry.

Laura

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 07:51:21 PM »
In my opinion it is a Murano glass. I have seen so many pieces made with similar style. My granfather had 4-5 centerpieces with that kind of features (as you can find them in every home of old venetian people).
As written in a previous message, they were popular during '50s-'60s, but they are still produced today from pretty commercial and inexpensive (at least for the Murano standards) glassmakers as Formia or Tfz.

It is true too that there are other glassmakers working with that style. I remember to have seen on the web a brazilian glassmaker of "Murano glass",
but I never have seen them in my hands so I can't tell if they feel as the old murano ones or just they look as.

Sincerely

Alex

http://www.artofvenice.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 08:09:55 PM »
Hi Alex,

It was lovely to meet you in your fantastic shop  :lol:
Thank you for sending us to the gallery. You were right, there was some beautiful glass on show.  :lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand