No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Glass Need Help  (Read 4956 times)

Offline plordhut

• Members
Unknown Glass Need Help
« on: May 10, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »
I bought this glass vase mainly because I like it BUT the seller said that it was Italian vintage glass dating in the 1970's. I can find no evidence of this so would like to find a little history if possible.
Please help!

Here is a picture of the unknown glass. any help would be appreciated.

http://i1.tinypic.com/zkqzvd.jpg
lordhut

Offline plordhut

• Members
Unknown Glass
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:37:17 PM »
Can anybody help?
lordhut

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
Could be a piece of Murano, difficult to tell.

Has the base been applied seperately?
Does the clear glass have a purple or green tint or is it just clear?
Has the base been polished and has it got a pontil mark?

Nice piece of glass and a very romantic picture too, any chance of a lighter picture as it's a bit dark, please?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline plordhut

• Members
Unknown Glass Please Help
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:08:25 AM »
Answer to your questions:

1) No the base has not been applied separately.
2) The clear glass is just clear
3) The base has not been polished and it does have te pontil mark which I am assuming is the what seems to be the starting point?

I would attach more pictures but yet again have forgotten how to.
lordhut

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:11:19 AM »
Hi Plordhut

It's only my opinion, but I think your piece is a fairly generic piece of Murano glass, and I'm not convinced you'll be able to pin it down to a specific maker.  Some Murano pieces do have a concave pontil, and from my experience those ones appear to date from about 1950/60 - that's purely from looking at the design and is not written in stone though. Willing to be corrected!  :wink:

However, I really love large pieces like this, and even if you can't say definitely who designed it, it's still a great looking piece of glass and something to be enjoyed.   :)
I am not a man

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 08:20:15 AM »
It certainly looks like a piece of 'Murano' to me.

If it had it's original makers sticker, it would certainly make it easiar to identify.

Perhaps you could try posting this in the Murano Society section.

Just a little bug-bear of mine; why do people always identify pieces as being 'Murano'? Murano is an Island (Italian) with many different makers, so labelling something as being Murano is a bit like saying it is English or Stourbridge.

I understand that there are problems in identifying specific makers, but with all the interest in such glass, you would think that someone would have the knowledge to differentiate the work of one factory from another (even though they did copy one another).

Perhaps everyone should refer to such glass as 'Murano School' or something similar?
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 08:35:45 AM »
David said:
Just a little bug-bear of mine; why do people always identify pieces as being 'Murano'? Murano is an Island (Italian) with many different makers, so labelling something as being Murano is a bit like saying it is English or Stourbridge.

Sometimes, when no-one's given an opinion so far, a starting point is useful.  I take on board what you're saying as a fair point though.
I am not a man

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 08:39:40 AM »
No offence intended, it's something everyone does.

Perhaps it's time for a change?
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline plordhut

• Members
Unknown Glass
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »
Thank you everybody, you have at least given me an idea. I feel confident I can call it a Murano type glass sculpture/vase.
Its a start and for that I appreciate your help!
lordhut

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Unknown Glass Need Help
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 02:00:47 PM »
It might help if they put 'Italy' instead of Murano on the labels. But then everyone would say why is always called Italian :?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand