No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars ID please  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Whitefriars ID please
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
Does anyone know the design number for this Whitefriars weight, has a  dated Monk cane for 1975.

Thanks
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Whitefriars ID please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »

Hi Nick

I have seen it referred to as a PG101 by Brian Slingsby, so I suspect that is the pattern number.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Hi Alan

Thanks, but John Simmonds' book lists PG101 as being an interwoven garland design but having side and top printies and a star cut base, PG100 is listed as a plain dome but again a star cut base? This has the typical button base.

Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »

Hi Nick

Apologies - I was misreading the literature.

Brian Slingsby's booklet on Whitefriars (you may recall he was the Technical Director at Whitefriars...) reproduces a catalogue page that shows the PG100 garland as unfacetted, and the PG101 facetted.  (These have intertwined cane garlands of one or two colours).  If there are random canes forming the garlands, and it is unfacetted, it is a PG102....and so on.

I don't think a star cut base is standard.  Brian does not mention it, and I have several of these garland designs in stock - none have star cut bases.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Thanks Alan, couldn't't find an image and the star cut base in the description threw me off.

Nick

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
Usually see these described as Trefoil's and the random cane variety as Garlands.  It makes a big difference. I've sold Garlands up to £150 odd, but Trefoils up to £325.

Don't think I've ever seen one with a star cut base?

Ian

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
Should say, faceted trefoil was £325, unfaceted I think my nest was £275

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
Thanks Ian, definitely a Trefoil then (even if it wasn't) can it be ultra rare too? ;D

Nick

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
Hi Nick,
             Whitefriars always catalogued these as "Garlands" whether they had 2 colour canes or random. The general description outside of Whitefriars would be a trefoil. So both 2 colour and random cane colour patterns are "garlands" within Whitefriars and "trefoils" elsewhere.

Of the two colour trefoils, the plain cut is PG100. This is generally slightly scarcer than the facet cut or PG101. They do sometimes come with "star cut bases" as I have two:- a light blue ground and a light green ground. My dark blue ground example is a plain button base. The dark blue is the commonest, the light blue and light green are much scarcer.

Of the random or multi-colour trefoils, the plain cut is PG102 and the facetted is PG103. They come in the 3 base forms as above but are much, much rarer than the two colours, whatever prices have been achieved. Again the plain cut is rarer than the faceted. I have 2 facetted examples in DB and LB but NO plain cut examples. I have been collecting Whitefriars paperweights assiduosly for almost 4 years now with over 165 DIFFERENT examples but have yet to come across a random trefoil in plain cut that I could afford to buy !!! (The PG102).

If you find one, let me know. I suspect prices have not really reflected their scarcity as they are not as well publicised as the limited edition patterns. The only example I know of, is with Farfalla in Germany who have it for sale at Euro 1,175 !!!!

All the best,

Tony

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Many thanks Tony, if I find one I'll let you know, by plain cut do you just mean plain domed? Not sure about the "cut" part.

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand