No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Inkwell on three ball feet & hinged lid  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Inkwell on three ball feet & hinged lid
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
Any thoughts about this very odd looking perfume bottle would be much appreciated.  We think the metal hinge might be copper or brass, but it is very worn whatever.  I can't begin to think how its been made.  The larger ball which holds the perfume, has a thick base.  The balled feet appear to be solid.   It stands just over 4" high and weighs 342g.
TIA :)
Anne E.B

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Perfume bottle on three ball feet & hinged lid
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »
I think I've seen this design but not as a perfume bottle, on the board Anne. Maybe in some form of paperweight?
for some reason I think it was discussed as perhaps being Czech?
m

Offline Libby

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
Something very similar was on an antiques programme recently.   I wondered if it was a perfume bottle but they called it an inkwell.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
Thanks for your comments folks :-*
An inkwell sounds a good bet methinks.  It's quite heavy and stable which an inkwell would have to be, plus the hinged lid would be more suitable for that purpose.  On reflection, I think perfume would evaporate pretty quickly because of the style of lid.  "Flick & dip" sounds more like it ;D  Great suggestion.
I had an idea that it might be Czech, but searches online/books and Marcus' CDRom turned up nothing similar - so far.
I'll have a search here to see if I can find in the p.w. section and will get back if I find anything.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
I'd suggest an inkwell too, Anne, given its characteristics. I've not seen a perfume in this style before (but that's not to say there isn't one, of course!)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
I've found a match with a possible attribution i.e. Eduard Dressler, c.1880s. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-European-Green-Glass-Inkwell-English-Eduard-Dressler-Bohemian-/151030037094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232a177a66  The image is no longer shown here, but I found the ebay link from googling images.  Also found this one also attributed as possibly to Dressler [ * ] http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/antiquedetail.asp?autonumber=84870  It is iridised like mine, but the lid is a different shape. 

The only Dressler catalogue I've been able to find online is unfortunately a 1930 one.

[ * ] [Mod: I have changed "Dresser" to "Dressler" as I think that was what was intended.]
Anne E.B

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
Seen a few of these and always assumed inkwells, the same form but with variations in function also crop up but right now I forget if I have seen one made as a candlestick or something else again.

John

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »
While searching a book on paperweights [ * ] I came across images and descriptions for four items that confirm the source as Eduard Dressler, in the Gablonz area. Dated c. 1886 - 1900

One of the items has a description beginning:
An ink bottle in form of a ball pyramid of 4 iridescent balls
(Diameter of the balls is stated as 32 - 33 mm) Visually, the item is a match to the one discussed here.

The other items are:
- "a flute-like vase on ball pyramid of 4 iridescent balls" (the main body of the vase has gilded relief decoration with white enamel dots and the three balls that form the feet have gold coloured dots on their upper surfaces. Diameter of balls given as 30 - 31 mm)
- "a ball pyramid of 10 small yellowish-brown transparent balls" (the balls are arranged in tiers of 1, 3, 6. Diameter of balls 21 - 23 mm)
- "a ball pyramid of 4 balls with an iridescent surface (other than the iridescence, the balls are clear glass. Diameter of balls 49 - 51 mm)

[ * ]
Paperweights - Historicism, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, 1842 to Present. Peter Von Brackel. Published by Schiffer 1999
Also, reference was made in that book to:
- Glas des 20.Jahrhunderts by G.E. Pazauruk / W. Spiegl
- Paperweights by Sibylle Jargstorf. Schiffer 1991. (Another "four-ball paperweight" is illustrated on page 83 of that book)
KevinH

bfg

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
ignore that, I'm always miles behind  ::)

Mel

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
Does it have that very bright rainbowy iridesence on it?

I had a bud vase which had three ball feet like this, with the rainbowy iridesence, but Bubbles has it now.
I don't think we ever did discover its origins, just added it to the collection. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand