No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb jug  (Read 964 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Webb jug
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »
Hi all,this has to be a Webb jug?sadly no stamp and doesn't look like a second,but i'm beginning to realise the swapping of design ideas or just straight copying seems common place,it's 21cm ht has a ring and ones i've seen similar are described as 20's in origin,many thanks..

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb jug
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »
Assume you mean T/Webb  -   personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that this design is too modern looking for Webb.           This appears more like something from Dartington's Ripple range, although not saying it is  -  just that there is similarity, and they did produce good polished pontil depressions like this.
Webb remained more traditional in their designs.

Where have you seen 1920's pieces like this?? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
Got to dash off now,but ebay under webb glass jug.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »
assuming I'm looking at the right ones on ebay, then those patterns don't match with this close 'ripple' type' effect.             Thomas Webb did produce an horizontal wave pattern (Venetian Ripple I think it was called)  -  quite common in fact - and pre1940 they made a pattern with spiral twisting, although that looks nothing like this one.    They also did Ribbonette, which was a very sharply peaked wave type pattern, and different again.

Unfortunately, access to comprehensive T/Webb catalogues/patterns is not easy  -  although my opinion remains that this is not one of theirs.
Perhaps someone can prove me wrong however :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
My first thought was Dartington too, no sign of it in Dartington Glass The First Twenty Years though. Definitely no marks on the base?

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »
Jugs are a minefield and almost impossible to ID... IMHO this seems early 20th C rather than later

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
oops,not eBay,Dettmer antique glass dealer,the Webb jug should come up,to me there are alot of similarities,shape,foot,handle and although the texture is not exact it has the same sort of feel about it,their jug is smaller and again with no markings,i do understand that none of that might mean it's from the same stable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand