No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass vase RD 735621, April 1928 – precise registration details, please?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A clear pressed glass vase, 6 ½ inches high, with a top rim diameter of 4 ½ inches. The side of the foot is embossed with Regd. No. 735621. (Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by runningstitch).

RD 735621 is not listed at http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos08.htm
but would have been registered in April 1928.

Is the number in the Blue Book? If so, would some kind GMB member provide me with the precise registration details, please?

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales

I think I have partially answered my own question in that
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=33644.0
shows a comport marked Regd.No.735621 - registered to Clayton Mayers & Co. Ltd., London, on 15th Feb. 1928. 

As CM & Co. were basically wholesalers and importers, manufacturer not known (but could it possibly have been Inwald - as with 'Jacobean' registrations).

My vase and the comport seem to be of two totally different shapes with no obvious points of similarity in the design. I wonder what the unique point for the design registration was? Could it simply have been the lanceolate shape to the ribs on the comport flat top surface and the top half of the vase?

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
appears to be missing from the Blue Book Fred  -  although it will be February 1928 in the sequence, the same date as Anne's comport carrying the same Rd. No.
As with some other known Registrations -  where there are multiple shapes under one number, it appears to be the decoration only - on this vase and the comport - that was being registered.         Lanceolate is a very good descriptive word for the moulded pattern  -  one of our native plantains with similarly shaped leaves has just this same name as the specific part of its binomial moniker.

I'm not too well up on pressed glass, but had thought that C. M. registered their designs/imports - so bit surprised it's not showing in the book.      I expect there is some legitimate reason for its absence.    Where did Anne get here confirmation from  -  have I missed something - there are too many links probably, so expect I have.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Paul, there is a good overwiew of Clayton Mayers, including a list of their British registered design numbers to 1940 at
http://www.cloudglass.com/ClaytonMayers.htm

Fred

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks  -  I did in fact look at that page, but obviously too quickly and didn't see there were two columns  -  and presumably that's where Anne sourced her confirmation.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
This is an Inwald design, known in several vase shapes in marigold Carnival Glass (in which it is highly sought after). The pattern is known to Carnival collectors as Coronet or Princeton.

Coronet was actually the name given to this pattern suite in a 1928 British Pottery Gazette ad, where it was also described as "A New Clayton Mayers Range for 1928" - "The success of 1928 in glassware is the new Coronet range".

The pattern was first identified (in Carnival) by Stephen and I back in 1997. The Pottery Gazette ad and information about it in Carnival etc., appears in our first Schiffer book "Carnival Glass The Magic & The Mystery" (first ed, 1998). The pattern is also shown in Inwald catalogues.

Here is my Coronet vase in marigold - this is the small 6.5 inch version.

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Glen, for your very informative reply.

I will have a browse through the Inwald catalogues at the soonest opportunity.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand