No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please... need a glass repairer in Australia (or anywhere else)  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Help please... need a glass repairer in Australia (or anywhere else)
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
Wow, thank you everybody!  I'll pass the link on to the owner of the seal... certainly worth a try, and if all else fails, glass glue might do the trick.

Though I don't visit the GMB as often as I used to, I still think it's the best forum around. You guys are the best.
Anik

P.S. Sue, I don't think you did all that bad of a job with your piece... it's just a little more artistic now than it was before. Tee hee.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
I display it high up, with the repair and the big crack to the back. It still looks fabulous - only I know different.  :'(

I hope your buyer manages something to make it a bit happier.
I can't imagine finding another would be at all easy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
Sue that's a much better job than I would make.  I've one glued compote where all I had to do was glue the bowl onto the stem and it wasn't easy to hold it still until it 'cured'.  My little Clichy jug sits in a cabinet with bits inside it.  I'm not even going to try with that as the last vase I broke, I ended up binning.
But possibly, if you repair glass on a regular basis, then it might be more simple perhaps knowing the tricks of the trade etc.?
m

Offline kittykittykitty

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Anything Beautiful
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 01:42:32 AM »
Hi here's the link, just noticed she does not say glass though. Everything else so it may still be worth checking, plus she comes recommended which is even better.
https://www.facebook.com/CeramicRepair

Hi Sue, yes would have been abit "yuck"   :-[ without my full name, never noticed that before  :o
I was kitty-kat1234

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
Probably we tend not to repair (with glue) unless something is truly worth keeping  -  otherwise it goes in the bin.             I have used 'blu tack' to support two or perhaps three pieces whilst the glue cures  -  and if there are multiple pieces then the reconstruction can be built up piece by piece, with each one setting before the next is put in place.             Cocktail sticks are useful for mixing and applying the glue  -  just the right sort of fine point that's needed, and although it's very hard when cured, the excess glue of these two part adhesives can be trimmed with a very sharp stanley or craft knife.
I don't think that however good the repair is - when using glue - that you can ever say 'look an invisibel (see, I did the same Christine) mend' - part of the answer is that when handling one piece of glass to make sure there isn't another underneath - to avoid the possibility of butter fingers ;D

Another tip I discovered the hard way, is not to put one tumbler inside another - they lock up and one or the other might then break :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand