No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy or not?????????  (Read 2149 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Clichy or not?????????
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »
Hi Tony, for what it's worth I completely agree with you. Maybe Kevin will explain better why he chose to 'single' yours out? lot's of post's particularly in this section pointing to current eBay listings and Auctions never seem to be a problem though some people don't like commenting on current auctions or giving valuations  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
I sent my explanation to Tony by email. That was done at the time he queried the move of the post.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »
Which does nothing to answer my question as to why that post in particular needed to be moved when members often post queries to eBay listings particularly in the paperweight section.

Chris

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »
The wording of Tony's thread lead me to think that he was assisting somebody in obtaining an ID for a current sales item. I considered that was akin to a Board member making a similar request for their own sales item. In accordance with the description wording for the Market Place forum, I moved the thread.

Tony asked me privately why it was moved and I gave my explanation, together with an option for recreating the thread in this forum. The option was not taken up.
KevinH

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
hi board............
i think that there are so many sellers on ebay with multiple ids now that its impossible to know who is who and whose helping who.....i know for a fact that shill bidding is going on within the paperweights i think that should be a bigger concern to the board than kev h moving something............although we have crossed swords before i think as a whole its a thankless task moderating sometimes and i think they do a bothery good job(kev h/anne) keeping the board safe clean and as friendly as possible........even if i disagree with some of it.........sometimes   :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Interesting - I think that is happening in general glass sales as well.  Can't prove it but I steer well clear of those sellers that I'm suspicious of just in case.  Likewise I never bid on private sales where identities are hidden and I now check any bid history before I bid.
m

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »
Shilling is rife across ebay for anything.  Basically, bid what you want to pay right at the end, don't bid early.  Shilling is a problem for lower value things since ebay stopped you setting a reserve below £50, and starting something at 99p really does mean more people watch and bid than starting it at £25........

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »

Hi.  I think eBay make attempts to root out shill bidding, in that they pick up on different user names at the same IP address, and repeated patterns of specific user names bidding regularly on items from the same seller (but never winning...).

However, this rather modest attempt at policing does not work in some countries (eg Germany) where I believe that the privacy laws prevent eBay from even exercising this limited control.  I have seen on various occasions what appears to me to be very dodgy bidding on German eBay - but I may of course be mistaken.... :-\

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand