No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify a large, simple paperweight  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Blackbird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Kentucky
Please help identify a large, simple paperweight
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm looking for any information anyone might have on a paperweight matching this style:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/ZygonBall07_zpsd9cc19e7.png
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/ZygonBall06_zpsf9dbd5b4.png
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/ZygonBall04_zpsd76ca312.png
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/ZygonBall01_zps9f5f7705.jpg
I'm very new to this sort of thing and don't know the terminology to use while searching for it or where to find one.
It appears to be a large 6 facet glass paperweight, maybe the size of a softball or small cantaloupe.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
Re: Please help identify a large, simple paperweight
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
It appears to be a clear glass sphere?  If there are no markings it could have been made pretty much anywhere.  I don't think you will find much info for clear glass spheres that have been faceted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Blackbird

• Members
    • Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »
I guess so. 

I'm not sure if there's a term for this specific style that I'm not aware of. 

I've also seen some that have a similar shape that are listed as 6 faceted with a base, so I'm not sure how to count that (so would this be 5 faceted with a base or six faceted, etc.).  A lot of the info I've found are from auctions or shady chinese vendors that don't have consistent information.

I've found one on ebay that described it as a window facet paperweight.  I don't know if that's a "thing" or not.

I'm also kind of hoping someone is familiar with this general style and may have a lead on where to find one.  Preferably a vendor who sells them, because I know of many people who are looking for this exact paperweight right now.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »

Hi.

If you want to buy somethiong like this, and are willing to take 300 pieces, I think there are various Chinese factories that would make them for you.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Blackbird

• Members
    • Kentucky
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
Thanks!  I'm not really looking to manufacture or resell them, but that's something I will keep in mind.

This particular item was recently used as a very prominent prop on a popular science fiction television series.  There are a lot of crazy people like me who want to collect or replicate things like this.  We, much like you guys, obsess over tiny details and I thought I'd go to the experts to see if you could share any information on it.

We as a prop collecting community haven't had too much luck finding anything because we don't really know where to look.  And we don't seem to be able to articulate exactly what we're looking for.

This does appear to be a "found object" (meaning they didn't have it made for the production but bought it off the shelf) and we believe it is a glass paperweight, a door stop or some kind of home decoration.

I have found a paperweight on ebay that matches this one exactly, however it is tinted orange and the listing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
As far as the faceting goes, the base does not count. You may see folks refer to 5+1 or some other number +1. Which means 5 side windows and one top. Other than than that a weight like this would not be referred to as anything specific.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand