No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars confirmation please.  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Whitefriars confirmation please.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
Rims can be fire polished with a gas flame  - that is how they do it at Dartington. They have a special machine for their wine glasses. It may not work so well with thicker glass

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
Who's Pete? ???mines defo soda glass and i think Anne was saying the Wf folk said they were pontilless , but did make crystal ones of that shape with a pontil.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
Thanks for the photo Anne,the shape looks the same,the tops are both 2.5 inches,heights are close yours 6.75 inches and mine just under 7,the base on yours 2 inches and mine 3.25 inches.Mine has no ring to it and is very light.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
apologies - obviously I'm petering out ;)          although still confused as to why you were asking for maker of Anne's example when it had already been attributed to W/Fs ???

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Yes i think i need a lie down :),i didn't get Annes post at first ,but i think her's is crystal and mine is soda,or is it?or have the Wf"s lot got it wrong.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
They made several changes on that range and others  , the glass and the way they were made is all I was saying the ones that were to become lamps were probably different again . They were constantly changing things to keep the cost down as the competition got harder so if they found a way to reduce costs bingo . They still went bust .

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
By coincidence handled another of these vases today, in lead crystal rather than soda glass, the difference in weight is striking. The crystal variant was quite a bit thicker walled too and of course had a polished pontil mark.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand