No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Whitefriars or Scandinavian. ID = Whitefriars pattern 9364  (Read 1413 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Picked this up today. 14cm in height. I thought Scandinavian. Any clues ?
Pete. :-)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Is this Whitefriars or Scandinavian
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »
Check out www.hardernet.dk in the Per Lutken designer section.  Quite a lot of Holmegaard/Kastrup stuff only had paper labels.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
I have looked at that site and the colour and style match but cant find the shape, I am probably missing something. Cant post on the Whitefriars site either ! The seller was convinced with the Whitefriars id as he said a 'Dealer' told him  :) Is this a piece that has a  'fire polished' rim. (Im still learning the terms) Do you think this is Per Lutken ? Back to the pictures for me  ;D

A nice site Ross, Thanks, was interesting to see the glass change through the years just by scrolling through.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
The trouble is that many auctioneers and dealers ought to have an MCD after their name.   MCD = Master of Creative Description.  They don't know so they go for a relatively expensive descriptor that for most people is impossible to refute.  Then there is the problem of the Whitefriars of this life who produce such an enormous range of items it is almost impossible to remember them.

I suggested Holmegaard because of the blueish tinge to the glass and the rolled rim reminded me of the Umanak range.

One of the problem's I am having in assisting you is the distortion of the shapes from taking the photos too close,  On shot makes the sides seem quite straight, another that make it have narrowing from top to bottom.  The best way is to provide four photos - #1 a general shot of it on a white clot, #2  a profile shot from the side taken far enough back that it does not distort, #3 a very clear shot of just the base square on, and #4 a similar photo of just the rim from square on.  One way to see why this is a problem is to use your mobile phone.  Turn the camera to your face and then put your finger between the camera and your face.  It will look enormously large compared to what you know is its true size.  As you move it away to level with your face the distortion disappears.  The hassle with your photos is the distortion of the nearest parts of the vase - hence my suggestion to take them further back.  When you crop and resize them for the GMB they will stay proportionate.

Giving measurements quote both height and diameters (if there are differing diameters tell us what each is).

Ross

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
I thought Scandinavian because of the blue as I had a piece in the same colour. My memory is not as good as yours so names usually allude me. I see what you mean about the pictures, Last one is upside down. The vase is round.
14cm in Height, 6.5cm diameter opening, The foot is 5cm diameter and the base of the vase has a circumference of 27cm and 32.5cm at the widest part of the shoulder.
 Thanks for the help Ross.

PS I see the point with the pictures now I have posted them. Thanks

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
Whitefriars 9364 very similar not got one at the moment but the catalogue says 5" ?

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
So it seems I was wrong again but in my defense.....no, cant think of anything !! Why this 'Dealer' thought it a Whitefriars piece and did not buy it is a puzzle. I am a cheapskate when buying. I did look through the catalogues and missed it.  ??? Thanks Chris & Ross.  Appreciated 

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:41:38 AM »
I have to say looking at Chris's photo it seems very likely it is a Whitefriars piece.  Sometimes they made different sizes and a cm or two either way would not worry me.

Ross

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 03:48:35 AM »
Quick look up indicates Chris's suggestion is correct.  Catalog suggests 5.25" tall = 13.35cm (rough enough http://whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=9037 shows one in your colour.

Ross

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
A lot of hand made crystal glasses do have slight variations from each other, size & weight, not so easy to spot if your not looking. Thanks for the help. It will be listed soon. This is my second nice piece of Whitefriars in a couple of weeks.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand