No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Four glasses (not candles!)  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Four glasses (not candles!)
« on: December 13, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
I've been shopping again and bought these four glasses from a German auction. From left to right I'll label them A, B, C and D.

They all have conical feet and classical pontil scars. Heights are between 13 and 14cm tall. D has a brownish tinge to the glass.

A - wrythen knops and stem (or incised cut more likely), bowl has honeycomb moulding. Fair ring when tapped.
B - hollow stem, some ring when tapped
C - hollow stem, wrythen moulded bowl. fair ring when tapped.
D - hollow inverted baluster stem, honeycomb moulded bowl. Dull ring when tapped.

What intrigues me is that under two different sources of UV light A, B and C all luminesce yellow AND blue. D  shows yellow luminesence only.

Their style reminds me of some of the glasses in the Balustroids section of Bickerton.

Any ides on the type of glass and luminesence, date and place of manufacture much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stuart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Four glasses (not candles!)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »
Hi
Would it be at all possible please, to upload each item individually to it's own thread?
And to post a side on pic that enlarges so the detail can be seen, a pic of the base of the foot and any details such as size, rim finish etc, for each item, on each relevant separate thread.
Thank you
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
Hi,
        Beginning from left to right  A I would say with 99% certainty is from Namur in Belgium from the glass house of Sabastien Zoude , in Bickerton you will see these described as English made for export glasses , this is now thought to be wrong ,they are described as having rib twisted stems , not incised . I would think that C is more than likely from the same place , without better photo I cant tell with B, maybe Namur too but maybe English!!?? C I think is probably French but again I cant be certain from the photo , all will be second half of the 18th c , low lead content of the Belgian glass would give odd results on the lamp I think .
 cheers,
              Peter.

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
Hi Peter

Many, many thanks for your thoughts. Namur is a town I've been to a couple of times and I did not suspect that these glasses might be of Belgian origin. Attached are four more photos one of each glass in ABCD order.

You may just be able to discern that D (only yellow luminesence) has a hollow stem with a faint ribbing (?) to the baluster. Is the bowl decoration called honeycomb or hammering (or both?).

The four glasses were sold as a single lot which may or may not be relevant.

Thanks

Stuart

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
Hi ,
                  Honeycomb, dimpled or Diamond ??,( Zoude made them all)  its difficult to tell from the photos ,hammered is a term best left for silver objects ,you cant hammer onto glass,D I still think is not from Namur but possibly French and possibly the earliest one maybe towards the beginning of the 18th or even  the late 17th c , photos can only tell you so much ,in the hand is the only way to be a little more certain , books are good and yes i have lots(though not enough) but books can be very wrong,viewing and handling over many many years is the best way to learn then you will find the more you learn the more there is to learn, its good fun though along the way.

cheers ,
               Peter.

cheers,
     Peter.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
Hi ,
           here is one of mine for comparison , I would call this dimple moulded , also note the high conical foot , the foot fold on these glasses can also be very thin but not always .

cheers ,
              Peter

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
My glass A is pretty much identical to this one of yours in foot, stem, knops, and bowl. In fact surprisingly similar. Mine is 14.0 cm tall,

I assume yours is from Namur c.1770?

Stuart

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
Hi,
       14.8 cm and yes a typical Namur example from the second 1/2 of the 18th c , Zoude started experimenting with lead around 1760 I think and continued to make them in all sizes with and without rib twisting and moulded bowls till the end of the 18th c .

cheers ,
               Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand