No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fresnel lens style candle holder from USA - ID = Duncan Miller (Candy Jar)  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
This was happily in my Christmas box ;D 8)  It came from the USA and is based on the Fresnel lens design.  It only stands 3¼" high and presumably is intended as a candle holder.  Made in a 4 part mould, there are some indistinct marks on the base which may be manufacturing marks.  I've discovered that Corning Glass made souvenir Fresnel lens candle holders, but they are not the same as mine and are marked.  Some fascinating reading about Fresnel lenses on the web :)

Does anyone have any idea who might have made it please.  The actual lenses appear to have been made for some years in France, so although mine came from the USA, it might have been a souvenir piece made in Europe ???

TIA :) and Christmas Greetings ;)
Anne E.B

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Fresnel lens style candle holder from USA
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:56:57 AM »
Well I know Rodefer Bros. Bellaire, Oh. made something very similar in design as auto bumper lights & taillights in the early 50's for various manufacturers using their molds. Thats the only thing that comes to mind. 
http://glassian.org/Prism/National/Glass/datums.html

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
Thank you for your comments.  Much apreciated.
Anne E.B

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
Duncan Miller in the USA. It was called Sanibel No. 130 and also Nautical No. 114.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
Duncan Miller in the USA. It was called Sanibel No. 130 and also Nautical No. 114.

That went right over my head James, never even thought of that possibility. Anne its  the cigarette jar missing the lid. With the lid its 5 1/2" because the lid has a tall sort of large pencil point finial topped with an open circular ring. I've never run across one of these before. They are in Depression Era Glass By Duncan (Leslie Pina) pgs 106-107. Also if you go to the URL below & scroll down to Duncan Miller there is a pic of the candy jar labeled Nautical Candy Jar in the Sanibel pattern by Duncan & Miller. Of course the candy is much larger that the cigarette jar but the lid/finial is the same design.  Ken

http://www.vaselineglass.org/FACTORY.HTML

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »
Mystery solved!  Thank you so much folks :)  :-*
I have now been able to find this link which shows the original design sheets by Duncan & Miller's "prominent designer" Robert A. May http://www.ndga.net/rainbow/1981/81rrg05b.php
I will pass this information on to my daughter who will be delighted, as she bought it for me.  The seller knew that it was old, but could give no information about it.  I'll continue to use it as a candle holder, but won't be placing it in the front window ;D

Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand