No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green berry bowl set - daisy and flourishes - ID = McKee  (Read 2147 times)

Offline kimo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
Green berry bowl set - daisy and flourishes - ID = McKee
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
I was presented with a berry bowl set that had belonged to my Granny who passed away in the 1970s.  I remember them from her kitchen in the 1960s so they are at least that old or older.  I would deeply appreciate anything you can share including opinions and facts on these.  What I would most like to know is their maker and pattern name, but also approximate age and anything else you could share.

Here is a description followed by some photos:
There is one larger bowl that measures about 8.5 inches in diameter by about 3 inches deep.  There are 10 smaller bowls that measure about 3.5 inches in diameter by 1.5 inches deep.
The design reminds me of daisies with floral flourishes.  What I call daisies are flowers with 5 petals around a central button.  The design is incised rather than raised.  Each bowl has a ring shaped base.
There are no maker's initials, symbols, or any other kind of maker's markings on them.
There are 4 faint seams on each which tells me they were made in 4 part molds.
The ring shaped base on the large bowl is ground and polished perfectly flat on the bottom which suggests to me these could be of greater age than the 1950s or 1960s.
The small bowls do not have their bottom ring shaped bases ground flat.
Looking really, really closely into the glass I can see a few tiny air bubbles here or there and some slight stretch marks in the glass.
If I were pushed to guess an age my thought would be anywhere from the 1890s to the 1940s which I know is almost no help.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Please help ID my granny's green berry bowl set - daisy and fourishes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:24:52 PM »
Your bowl is McKee Early American Rock Crystal, in their light green or medium green (can't really tell by your pictures) which dates it between 1925-29. Came in several sizes & your set has the 9" master with the 4" nappys. Discontinued 1942.

Offline kimo

• Members
    • America
Re: Green berry bowl set - daisy and flourishes - ID = McKee
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
THANK YOU, Ohio!  With this manufacturer and pattern name I looked this up and this is definitely it.  The color of my Granny's bowls is the lighter green with a slight greenish-yellow tint.  I will now be able to keep my eye out for some more pieces in this pattern and hopefully slowly build it up.

Given its age of starting around 1925 - 1929 and the pattern discontinuation date of 1942, would this be considered to be depression glass or something else?

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:53:50 AM »
Not in the strict definition of Depression glass which is the cheap molded pattern glass as your McKee Rock Crystal really does not fit into an era unless its might be considered early elegant era. Nothing cheap about McKee Rock Crystal especially in color. 

Offline kimo

• Members
    • America
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
Thank you again, Ohio.  The medium to light green with the slight yellowish tint is really beautiful, but then I am biased having been around this set of bowls since I was a child in the 1960s.  As you say, there is nothing cheap feeling or looking about these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand