No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Gray & Co., Gateshead, RD 292113 of 16 June 1875  (Read 1718 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thomas Gray & Co., Gateshead, RD 292113 of 16 June 1875
« on: December 28, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
An oval dish and a celery vase both bearing the registry date lozenge for 16 June 1875 – Parcel 6, corresponding to registered design number 292113 registered to Thomas Gray & Co., Gateshead on Tyne.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Rob Young).

This would appear to be Thomas Gray & Co.’s only design registration.

According to Catherine Ross in “The Development Of The Glass Industry On The Rivers Tyne And Wear, 1700 – 1900”, a thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1982:
“Thomas Gray & Co. occupied the glass works at Carr Hill from 1860, in which year he also took out a patent for moulding articles in a one piece mould and opening out the foot by hand, until 1880. Following the failure of Gray’s successor, the
Lorraine Glass Company, his moulds were brought by Davidsons.”

There is a map of Carr Hill, dated 1862, showing the location of the Carr hill Glass works at
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Carr_Hill_Map_1862.gif
though modern maps show no obvious traces of the Glass works.

Does anyone have any more detailed information about the history of Thomas Gray & Co. at the Carr Hill Glass works, please?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thomas Gray & Co., Gateshead, RD 292113 of 16 June 1875
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
Hello Fred  -  regret the answer is no, but thought it might be of interest to add an image of the original drawing submitted by the Registrant, to the Board of Trade, in support of this design............showing that the oval dish was the shape Registered.

Perhaps the Mods. will alter the date given in the subject heading  -  we seem to have jumped forward one hundred years. ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
There is an example in the V&A collection apparently, Fred, but the catalogue listing unfortunately has no image to accompany it: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O2444/dish-thomas-gray-co/ - it also is stated as being In Storage rather than On Display, which is a shame.   :-\

PS Date corrected in subject line.  Well-spotted Paul, I'd missed that!

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
thanks Anne.

I've seen that comment  'in storage'  on some other catalogue pieces..............       I suppose not unexpected really - like all museums they probably tend to exhibit those items of maximum interest.          The V. & A. cabinet for pressed glass is rather meagre in terms of quantity, and those that are shown tend to be the more land-mark examples or what might be thought of as more memorable pieces.         Most visitors to the Glass Gallery want to see iconic pieces of glass, and pressed utility dishes probably don't come under that heading.

However, I do on very rare occasions (one Tuesday afternoon in the month I think) when the public can take glass for i.d............   and we might perhaps ask for something to be retrieved from storage, if we give enough advance warning.

My opinion is that this pattern/design is very attractive. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Thank you, Paul, for your assiduity in noticing my typo in the original header, and for the design representation from TNA.

Thank you, Anne, for your prompt corection of the date in the header.

Apparently, Davidson bought the Thomas Gray moulds about the same time that they bought the W.H. Heppell moulds (which makes it 1884-1885ish) so they must then have had an enormous stock of moulds at their disposal. It is well documented that some of the ex-Heppell designs were issued by Davidson, but I wonder how many of the ex-Gray designs were also issued by Davidson without any recognition of their prior origin?

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand